Is my Greek tortoise hibernating?

Chike

Hey,

I'm from Morocco, and I have a male and a female sulcata. Since the temperature has fallen, I've noticed my male sulcata has found himself a comfortable place and he's been sleeping there ever since. Never happened before. Though, recently I've moved them to a spacious place (garden), The female is still going out and taking sun baths and eating... but the male is sleeping and hasn't moved for a week or so. Is he possibly hibernating? should I let him like that?

BILBO-03

Sucaltas don't hibernate. Maybe it is like a winter slow down or something

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Sucaltas don't hibernate. Maybe it is like a winter slow down or something
Hello

@Tidgy's Dad, Adam, is also from Morocco and will understand your climate.

Your sulcata cannot hibernate. It will be slowing down because it isn't warm enough. You must get extra heat for this tortoise or it will get very sick.

Adam's Greek, Tidgy, is now using a basking lamp because the weather is too cold for her to bask.

How big is your sulcata? And where does it live? Photos will help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your typical over night low temperatures and your daytime highs this time of year?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While I agree you probably need more heat, here we have two tortoises living together correct? One is doing fine onenis doing poorly, seems like one is being bullied to me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
While I agree you probably need more heat, here we have two tortoises living together correct? One is doing fine onenis doing poorly, seems like one is being bullied to me.
I missed that :(

Sulcatas should not be kept as pairs. They're not social and don't need or want a friend. Both mental and physical bullying are common. These two need to be kept separately.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Chike and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure.

(By the way, I live n Jordan).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Chike, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your tortoises! :)
Firstly, where are you ?
I'm in Fes medina.
Secondly, are you sure they are sulcatas ? it seems you thought they were African spur-thigheds on your other thread, and sometimes this refers to our Greek tortoises, Testudo graeca which are the local species. Sulcatas do occur here, but they are rare and expensive, and generally shipped in across the border with Mauretania.
Thirdly, even if they are Greeks, they should not be kept in a pair, bullying will occur. If they are Greeks, as i suspect, then, here in Morocco it is usual to let them hibernate where they choose, though I overwinter mine. I need some photos and your location, as the temps vary a lot here from place to place, as you know.
Finally, regarding your other thread, again where are you ? Herp vets are hard to find here, but you should be able to locate one or two in Casablanca or Rabat. I can help with this if you wish. Are you actually Moroccan ? If not, it is easy to get a ferry over to Spain to stock up on tortoise supplies, that's what I do.
Please contact me if you need any help. I look after many tortoises in my area and am more than willing to help in any way I can.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If we can be certain that your torts are Greeks and you do decide to let them hibernate, make sure your garden is enclosed, is it a riad or dar ?
Rats can be a terrible danger to hibernating torts, dogs too.

Chike

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

@Tom : It's warm in here the typical temperature is from 19-21C during the day and 13-9C during the night.

@dmmj and @JoesMum Yes, they're living together but they live in quite huge space. sometimes they sleep separately and sometimes they sleep together. I've never seen them being agressive to each other.

@Tidgy's Dad Hey, I'm in casablanca's area. I live in villa, they've been living in a garden and its quite spacious. Thank you for pointing out that they might not be sulcatas. I had no idea. Here a pic of them

LpLOWIj.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are very pretty and unusual-looking tortoises. They are NOT sulcata (African spurred tortoise), but I'm not sure they're greek either. Let's send a shout-out to @HermanniChris

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

@Tom : It's warm in here the typical temperature is from 19-21C during the day and 13-9C during the night.

@dmmj and @JoesMum Yes, they're living together but they live in quite huge space. sometimes they sleep separately and sometimes they sleep together. I've never seen them being agressive to each other.

@Tidgy's Dad Hey, I'm in casablanca's area. I live in villa, they've been living in a garden and its quite spacious. Thank you for pointing out that they might not be sulcatas. I had no idea. Here a pic of them

LpLOWIj.jpg
They're so cute. GOD bless.

Take good care of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might seem like we're ignoring your hibernating question, but we need to find out what species they are before we can tell you what to do. let's wait to hear from HermanniChris.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They look like Testudo graeca graeca to me like @Tidgy's Dad's tortoise. They're a native in that area.

The thing that's throwing me is the radiating pattern from the center scute. I didn't think Greeks had that pattern.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

LpLOWIj.jpg
Yes, these are the northern variety, Testudo graeca marrokensis, for those who like the three subspecies division for Moroccan greeks (I don't).
They are a hibernating subspecies, but your temps there at the moment are a little high.
Let them sleep, if they want, but they may only brumate for as little as a couple of weeks
I wouldn't worry too much about the worms.
Shouldn't keep them together, though, how big is your area ? Even 'snuggling', is often actually subtle bullying, taking the best spot, eating the choicest morsels. Be very careful, the one trying to sleep may be stressed.

Chike

Thank you again, and thanks for helping me identifying them. I didnt know they're not sulcatas.

@Tidgy's Dad It's quite big. around 150m of space. Thanks for the tips, I will separate them. I kept them separated in summer, but I put them in same spot during the winter. The male usually likes to wander around while the female like to stay in one spot.

So I should let the male one sleep till he comes out on his own then. Thank you for your replies :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you again, and thanks for helping me identifying them. I didnt know they're not sulcatas.

@Tidgy's Dad It's quite big. around 150m of space. Thanks for the tips, I will separate them. I kept them separated in summer, but I put them in same spot during the winter. The male usually likes to wander around while the female like to stay in one spot.

So I should let the male one sleep till he comes out on his own then. Thank you for your replies :)
Not necessarily.
Is he the one who's been sick or has bad worms ?
If you are uncertain about his health he should not be allowed to brumate.
If he is stressed, the same applies.

Chike

Not necessarily.
Is he the one who's been sick or has bad worms ?
If you are uncertain about his health he should not be allowed to brumate.
If he is stressed, the same applies.
Yes, he was the one who had worms, but that was 2 years ago. He's fine now. He seemed healthy before hibernating. sun bathing, eating, and wandering around.

Edited Thanks again for the help :)

Last edited: