Is my hermann ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yodstarr

5 Year Member
Can anybody tell me, Ive built my tortoises (2 Hermanns, Speedbump and Willis) an outdoor enclosure this year with lots of places to dig and hide out etc, see attached pic. One of them has buried itself about 4 or 5 inches below the surface. Ive had a poke around and it seems ok and I am aware that this is natural behaviour but should it be doing this at this time of year or is it only a hibernation thing? The spot is well sheltered.

I want to know that he/she is ok and how long should I leave them underground? Im presuming they surface when they get hungry?

Also, Im in Birmingham England and am wondering if its still a little cold of night to leave them outside????

help and advice appreciated

thnx

Attachments

• P1020873.JPG
    P1020873.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 69

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What a beautiful yard and enclosure! If this is the first time the tortoises have been put into their new enclosure, it could just be that the "hiding" one is scared. The first day you can just leave him alone, but when you put him out again the next time the weather is good, keep getting him out of the dirt and place him next to the one who isn't afraid. He'll get used to his new environment eventually and start to do some exploring. I love your enclosure!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What are your low temperatures in the day and at night?

I really like your enclosure--the different surfaces, hiding spots, water, etc!

I would not worry about hibernation unless it was very cold. Some just like the burrow, it can be scared as Yvonne said, and many other reasons.

How long at a time is it burrowed do you think? Are you talking days without coming up? I would want to see that it has come up every day and eaten if it was my tort. I will however otherwise leave mine alone if he's in a funk as I put it (sleeping all day).

yodstarr

5 Year Member
thnx guys for your help I feel much better knowing that its not to bad! I built the enclosure last weekend so they have only been in it a few days so very possible that its just a case of 'strange new world' syndrome!! He/She (not sure, need to post pics for advice!) has been buried for 2 days now so I think if nothing has changed by the end of the day Ill bring it indoors and give it a night in familiar territory. That said both are used to being outside as I did have a previous enclosure but it was not as nice as the new.

Temperature during the day here usually above the 17+ mark, at night Ive measured 13 and 14s. One night went to 11 which I believe is a little low but this was before the new enclosure.

Hopefully they will both settle in and enjoy the new environment, the first few hours were spent following each other around it and climbing through the bushes, probably wore themselves out!

thnx again
jody

ADDED: out of interest heres the forecast for day and night for the next few days (see attached). It seems our typical summer is playing games and getting a little cooler, is it to cold to be outside?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 16

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Here are those temps in F. They seem fairly low especially the nightime temps. I think I would be bringing them in at night. JMHO. Are your nights damp?
59-48.2 F Thurs
62.6-48.2 F Fri.
69.8-50 F Sat.
68-57.2 F Sun

yodstarr

5 Year Member
Hi
I thought so Ill bring them in to be on the safe side. As for damp nights, not really they have been pretty dry of late (for english weather!)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Unless they are used to those temperatures, I would take it a step further and only have them out for a few hours midday when it is warmest as even the high temp is a bit low. If they are used to cooler temps (as most Hermanns with owners in the UK are), then yes I believe the day temperatures are ok but not the night temperatures. Also observe the behaviour and see if they are active or really slow down (with slower behavior they have be too cold).

I'd say in general until the tort is used to it, you wouldn't want to go below the 70s-90s during the day, and not lower than the 60s at night. If they get acclimated you can shift those down about 10 deg F in my opinion.

I think the combination of cooler temperatures and the shock could explain the behavior. If it were my tort and burrowed for more than 24 hours I would bring it up, warm it up, see if it will eat and drink.

Damp and cold would be bad, but cold and dry is better. That is why I suspect Robyn asked about that. They can tolerate cooler if it is dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.