Is my Horsefield OK? Not eating!!?

Tjroberts29

Hi Guys!,
Any Advice is appreciated.

We bought a Horsefield Tortoise yesterday and did a good amount of research before hand so felt confident we were up to the task of tortoise keeping.

We have everything that has been recommended including all UV lights the right substrate and have set up a nice home but since we got our guy home he doesn't seem to have eaten and just keeps burying down and not coming back out.
The table is 29-30C (outside temp here is 36-40C at the moment

He were told he was about 4 to 6 months old.

Any suggestions on why he isn't eating? Is he just scared of his new surroundings? Is this a common thing.

Thanks

Tom

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Tom, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Yes, it's perfectly normal.
He is afraid he has intruded on another's territory, or that there maybe a predator here or that you will eat him.
It can take a few days for them to realize that you are the food god and start to explore what he will come to realize is his territory and that he is safe here.
very common.
I was the same when I moved in to my home here. Took me 11 days before i came out of the wardrobe.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I would try offering the food to him by hand, it seemed to make my tortoise curious enough to start eating when I first got her. Can we see pictures? :) Horse-fields are my fave.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as said above your tortoise is more than likely re-adjusting to a new territory. Your tortoise does not know if it's in another tortoise's territory or not it takes time. Pet shops are notorious for not giving the correct age for tortoises.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Guys!,
Any Advice is appreciated.

We bought a Horsefield Tortoise yesterday and did a good amount of research before hand so felt confident we were up to the task of tortoise keeping.

We have everything that has been recommended including all UV lights the right substrate and have set up a nice home but since we got our guy home he doesn't seem to have eaten and just keeps burying down and not coming back out.
The table is 29-30C (outside temp here is 36-40C at the moment

He were told he was about 4 to 6 months old.

Any suggestions on why he isn't eating? Is he just scared of his new surroundings? Is this a common thing.

Thanks

Tom
A very warm welcome to the forum! :)

Don't worry: torts do not like change. Therefore they take a lot of time to adapt.;)

Would love to see pics, soon.:D

Tjroberts29

Hi!

Thanks for all your replies!... you have settled us down a little, not knowing if you are doing the right thing or not with something so small is quite a scary thing!

Is there any way you can tell the age? To see if the pet store was actually telling a porky?

We love him to bits and want him to have the best life possible!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you take a photo and post it we may be able to say if it's a juvenile, an adult or a pensioner, but telling the age of a tortoise is not possible without it's hatch date.

Tjroberts29

I'm trying to upload but I'm doing it by phone... don't think the uploader is working for me

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Aging a tortoise is next to impossible, as their growth is so environmentally determined. Yours is clearly young - I'd estimate under 6 months.

Tjroberts29

Thanks!

We will... little guy still hasn't emerged too much today but hopefully in a few days he will pick up his confidence

Steve_carter

UK
Here he is

Cute looking tort! <3 as others have said its hard to get a definite age but I would say under 6months. That's based on my comparison to my Horsefield who is 10months.

Welcome to the forum & I look forward to seeing & hearing your journey with the little one! :D :tort:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome he's a gorgeous little thing.
What's the white stuff on his shell?
Have you found the caresheet for Russians under species specific yet?
That will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid problems
and the Enclosures thread is full of great ideas,
You may find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful to find tort safe plants.
If you post pics of his enclosure members will be able to suggest any improvements - if any - to make sure Tony is as healthy and happy as possible. Pets shops are profit driven and don't always sell the best or safest equipment but you will get good honest advice here.