Is my humidity too high for my Herman’s Tortoise?

charlie.life

Location (City and/or State)
Brixham
Hi there,

So my little tort is a 3 year old Herman’s tortoise and after a recent visit to the vets I have him in new vivarium. However I’m noticing that the humidity is really high (mid to high 70s sometimes 80) firstly is this too high? (I’m finding online info very contradictory. And secondly how do I combat this? Thankyou for any information, I really appreciate it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

So my little tort is a 3 year old Herman’s tortoise and after a recent visit to the vets I have him in new vivarium. However I’m noticing that the humidity is really high (mid to high 70s sometimes 80) firstly is this too high? (I’m finding online info very contradictory. And secondly how do I combat this? Thankyou for any information, I really appreciate it
No. Not too high. If you want it lower, simply increase ventilation and let things dry out a bit. If he still has a lot of growing to do, then this level is ideal.

Most of the care info you find for this species is wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.

charlie.life

Brixham
No. Not too high. If you want it lower, simply increase ventilation and let things dry out a bit. If he still has a lot of growing to do, then this level is ideal.

Most of the care info you find for this species is wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.
Thankyou Tom, that’s great, good to get some actual trustworthy info ahha nothing is clear online, you get about a 1000 completely polar opposite opinions. I hadn’t really thought about the fact that they spend much of their early life burrowed in humid conditions, makes total sense when you think about it. So fine Orchid bark is the one really then? I’ll get on that asap

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thankyou Tom, that’s great, good to get some actual trustworthy info ahha nothing is clear online, you get about a 1000 completely polar opposite opinions. I hadn’t really thought about the fact that they spend much of their early life burrowed in humid conditions, makes total sense when you think about it. So fine Orchid bark is the one really then? I’ll get on that asap
I tend to prefer damp hand packed coco coir for baby Testudo species and desert tortoises here in California. I switch to fine grade orchid bark once they reach 3-4 inches or so. All other species are started on orchid bark on day one after they hatch and come out of the brooder box.