Is my little hermanns doing okay? Pictures inside!

Torterra420

Hello there ! My names Nick, I gotta get around to making an introduction post (big lurker). I've been a little worried about my little girl Ms.Turtle, shes has the poppy crackly noses and thats mainly whats peeked my concern and brought me here. A little backstory/information, Shes 7 months old, she moves around with tons of energy, eats her food every day (flunkers pellets with a mix of greens like spring mix/dandelions) her poops are HUGE, sometimes I cant believe what comes out of her, She gets bathed in nice warm water at least every other day if not every morning before I put her infront of the water dish, her subtrate is 70%soil/30%reptile sand, the heat is usually floating around 30-35C degrees, she sleeps a ton as I would assume a baby would and shes also very active which leads me to believe her symptoms may not be that bad, ive been hearing these noises for over 3 weeks now, her eyes dont seem swollen and her nose isnt showing signs of running and it doesnt look clogged at all. I would take her to the vet but money is really tight for the next week due to an emergency so I'm looking for some advice, Does she look okay to you guys?

Ive been adding calcium supplements to her pellet food (not to much)
and also ive been giving her a electrolyte and vitamin d3 supplement in her water every day

Anything you guys could suggest, am I worrying to much? If you need to know anymore info i'd love to inform!

PS: while typing this I put her in a nice warm bath and came back to two big solid poops, I'm assuming that's a good sign?

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

puffy137

Hello there ! My names Nick, I gotta get around to making an introduction post (big lurker). I've been a little worried about my little girl Ms.Turtle, shes has the poppy crackly noses and thats mainly whats peeked my concern and brought me here. A little backstory/information, Shes 7 months old, she moves around with tons of energy, eats her food every day (flunkers pellets with a mix of greens like spring mix/dandelions) her poops are HUGE, sometimes I cant believe what comes out of her, She gets bathed in nice warm water at least every other day if not every morning before I put her infront of the water dish, her subtrate is 70%soil/30%reptile sand, the heat is usually floating around 30-35C degrees, she sleeps a ton as I would assume a baby would and shes also very active which leads me to believe her symptoms may not be that bad, ive been hearing these noises for over 3 weeks now, her eyes dont seem swollen and her nose isnt showing signs of running and it doesnt look clogged at all. I would take her to the vet but money is really tight for the next week due to an emergency so I'm looking for some advice, Does she look okay to you guys?

Ive been adding calcium supplements to her pellet food (not to much)
and also ive been giving her a electrolyte and vitamin d3 supplement in her water every day

Anything you guys could suggest, am I worrying to much? If you need to know anymore info i'd love to inform!

PS: while typing this I put her in a nice warm bath and came back to two big solid poops, I'm assuming that's a good sign?
Not really sure , one of mine had a bubbles coming from her nose , I put it down to a cold . Do torts have colds ? Anyway its cleared up now after the hot weather & sun has got to her.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
What are your 4 temps? Basking, warm side, cool side, and night low. Usually this is from too low of temps.

Torterra420

My basking sits at 30-35, warm 29-31, coolside 27-29, night time i have a warming lamp that keeps it from going below id say 23 ive never seen it below but usually always 25-30 at night ! the coloration on her skin looks normal everywhere?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I only keep Leopards and Russians, so am not sure of the specific requirements. When my Leopards show signs of being sick, the 1st thing I do is bump the temps. Hopefully someone with more experience will be a long shortly.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Do you have a thermostat to make sure it doesn't drop below 23 celsius? That is pretty low for a baby and I would not recommend it. I know you said it usually doesn't get that low, but if you do have a thermostat I would raise the low temperature to 27c. Maybe even higher, I haven't kept babies before. Hopefully someone more experienced can comment on that. How are you taking the temperature? Do you have anything that measures humidity as well? You do not want high humidity and cold temperatures, this will surely get your tortoise sick.

I would offer more variety in food (supermarket greens, outdoor weeds, etc) and not feed those pellets daily. I personally do not like those pellets...they look too much like fruity pebbles and there are better options for food in general and even in the pelleted kind. Also I would not use calcium supplement daily (don't know how often you sprinkle it on)

I also recommend getting a bigger water dish as well so he can sit in it. From the picture it looks like he may just fit in but if he grows a bit more he will not. Plant saucers work well as they are easy for the tortoise to get in and out of.

Last thing - careful of the sand, just make sure he doesn't ingest it. Keep him hydrated and if he ever does ingest it, it will be easier to pass for him.

Sorry for the rant, especially if you've heard all of this before, just want to help! I agree with everyone about bumping the temperatures and seeing how that goes.

Torterra420

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have a thermostat and humidity reader, ive been keeping it warmer and just hopping for the best, the coloration on her skin was what made me make the post, was just wanting to make sure she was looking okay, thank you everyone.