Is my rt done growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hey guys I have one female rt that is about five inches long, will she get much bigger this is not a problem because of tank size. She has grown about an inch since I got her. If anyone could tell me how much bigger she will get that will be great. Thanks in advance.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
If it is a female, 6-8 inches is normal. Some stay a little smaller, some get bigger. Even if it was a male I'd say it will still grow more.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
With tortoises it is hard to tell whether they are still growing... until they grow! :D

One of the male tortoises I rescued looked ancient, his shell was soooo smooth and completely black, he looked like he hadn't grown in decades. Then in my care, he got a new yellow growth line.

Do you have a digital postage scale? Or a baking scale? I find that it is pretty hard to measure a squirmy tortoise accurately, but a well calibrated scale can give you a good idea of growth, because growing tortoises will gain weight.

Lady weight.JPG

My females weigh 443g, 582g, 876g, and 1076g at the last weigh-in. My male weighs 505g. Their lengths range from 4.5" to above 7" (and that one is still growing!).

The bottom line: if you have a female, and you are feeding her good food and providing good UVB, she most likely WILL grow. :)

tortoise_man1 said:
Hey guys I have one female rt that is about five inches long, will she get much bigger this is not a problem because of tank size. She has grown about an inch since I got her. If anyone could tell me how much bigger she will get that will be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Technically, reptiles never stop growing. However, beyond a certain size, they grow very little. Russian males often grow to about 5-6" SCL, and females about 7-8". However, males can sometimes reach 8", and females 10".

Status
Not open for further replies.