Is my Russian tortoise looking healthy?

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Her shell looks nice! I think she's a bit overweight though. Might want to feed a bit less.

Is she active?

Her shell looks nice! I think she's a bit overweight though. Might want to feed a bit less.

Is she active?

She is active but not as much as I would like her to be. I know she's a bit overweight, but what can I do to help that? She actually doesn't even eat that much. Does her growth ring look normal? To me it looks a bit thick.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you get her outside? That usually works on getting them moving more and is better for them any way. The growth ring is large. Not sure what causes that. What size enclosure is she in? The minimum is a 4x8. Russians cover lots of ground in the wild.
What are you feeding her? It might be what your feeding not how much that she looks slightly over weight.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Getting them outside definitely gets them moving and exercising !
My female russian was getting fat too. I took her out alot more and for some reason shes not as much as a vicious eater as she use to.
I can tell shes getting.. Not fat, her shoulders arent looking puffy & bulgy . They're leveled out now.
As for the growth rings, it seems like its only happening at that bottom line, do you mist her often? Like on top of her shell?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wild caught tortoises often seem to end up with a huge growth band like that when put in captivity and fed abundant food. I don't think there are any health concerns, it's more aesthetic.

Do you get her outside? That usually works on getting them moving more and is better for them any way. The growth ring is large. Not sure what causes that. What size enclosure is she in? The minimum is a 4x8. Russians cover lots of ground in the wild.
What are you feeding her? It might be what your feeding not how much that she looks slightly over weight.

I do get her outside when it's warm enough. She's in a 50 gallon tank.
Going to be building Her a large tortoise table hopefully next week. I feed her Classic romain, fruits, veggies, kale, but not spinach any more she hates that.

Reactions: Rue
Getting them outside definitely gets them moving and exercising !
My female russian was getting fat too. I took her out alot more and for some reason shes not as much as a vicious eater as she use to.
I can tell shes getting.. Not fat, her shoulders arent looking puffy & bulgy . They're leveled out now.
As for the growth rings, it seems like its only happening at that bottom line, do you mist her often? Like on top of her shell?

I do mist her whole she'll usually 2-3 times a day.