Is my Russian's shell cracked????

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
Someone please take a look at this picture and tell me if Digger's shell looks healthy. He stays outside during the day in summer and seems to "dry". I soak him at least once a week and occasionally oil his shell (almond or olive oil). He had a bath 2 days ago and was oiled a week ago.IMG_0254.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It seems dry to me but not cracked that I can see. Spray the enclosure down with water every day to add some humidity. Also be sure he always has a water dish he can get into.

Kintamom

Falls, PA
Someone please take a look at this picture and tell me if Digger's shell looks healthy. He stays outside during the day in summer and seems to "dry". I soak him at least once a week and occasionally oil his shell (almond or olive oil). He had a bath 2 days ago and was oiled a week ago.View attachment 344728
I don’t see any cracks.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thanks to both of you for answering. I am a mother who worries. He does have a dish of water in his habitat. When temps get to 100 degrees, I spray the habitat. Apparently, I need to either wet it down more often OR soak him more often. - ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well for Pete's sake. . . Where the heck have you been?

The spaces between the scutes (new growth areas) are a bit sunken. That may look like cracks to you. If it were my tortoise, using a Q- tip, I would paint the areas between the scutes with cold pressed coconut oil, massaging it in. Then after about 15 minutes, polish it off with a soft, absorbent cloth.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Good to hear your reply. I will do that. I stay busy. After retirement, I took up a new career and am busier than before. I had landscaping to do, published a book, joined a gym and write a little - one of those people who just have to be doing all the time. You should see the habitat I dug for digger after we moved. So, what are you up to these days?