Is my Shellie a Girl?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
View attachment 235540 hey guys, my Shellie is not quite 3 yrs old yet, weighing in at little over 6lbs and measuring 10.5” straight carapace. Is it too early to tell her gender?View attachment 235541 that tail is definitely short and fat View attachment 235542 thought the anal scutes shape... I don’t know... but then.... some concavity in her plastron???.... but I recall reading on here about some females with plastron concavity.... @Anyfoot, @ZEROPILOT, @allegraf, @MPRC, @pfara, @Redfoot NERD, @cdmay, and I hope other RF keepers chime in, I hope I got at least couple of your user id’s correctly to send you alert[emoji849] Sorry, guys, maybe @Tom, @Yvonne G, I know RFs are not exactly your territory but perhaps you could chime in? Here is my concern: I worry that Shellie is indeed a GIRL and she maybe reaching her baby-tort-bearing maturity and I miss some clues and due to my lack of knowledge/competence she becomes eggbound and gets very sick... I know! I am a worrier! But I’d rather be proactive and one step ahead of potential dangers and to keep my babies as healthy a strong as they have been for almost 3 yrs in my care. I have been trying to read up on it but haven’t really found any detailed articles on it here on this forum. Or maybe I just didn’t know what key words to put in the search feature? Can someone direct me to web sites/articles? Or just plain- explain this egg-production thing to me and what if anything I need to do to keep my Shellie safe in that respect? She’s been devouring her cuttle bone, eating little less, walking around her food, raising her butt several times, sometimes she’ll pee by her slate tile food dish but mostly she just walks around doing that booty dance. The word “twerking” come to mind[emoji38] Would it be that she is becoming receptive to potential mating???? Well, that doesn’t matter. She has no one to mate with, but it’s the egg thing that worries me. Guys, please HELP!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
@Will? Any thoughts? What are all the other user IDs of all you guys, RF keepers out there??? Ican never remember all those coded names and letters. Also, this is my comeback to the forum after few months and some things in the forum app seem a little different, one difference for example is I can’t view my pictures I uploaded in this thread, they have a little lock symbol on them. What am I doing wrong? They used to just show up in full size within the body of my post. I am technically challenged here, can someone pls help? @JoesMum? Linda, pleeeeazzzz[emoji8]

Gattu N'Coco

india
She's a girl. Not an expert though. A male has a wider anal carapace structure (sorry if that's a wrong anatomical term) and long tail for the penis to be comfortably in I guess. Hers is just as my star female short and fat. So mostly yeah a GIRL!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Pearly. I can’t see the photos and you tagging me didn’t work for some reason.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Will? Any thoughts? What are all the other user IDs of all you guys, RF keepers out there??? Ican never remember all those coded names and letters. Also, this is my comeback to the forum after few months and some things in the forum app seem a little different, one difference for example is I can’t view my pictures I uploaded in this thread, they have a little lock symbol on them. What am I doing wrong? They used to just show up in full size within the body of my post. I am technically challenged here, can someone pls help? @JoesMum? Linda, pleeeeazzzz[emoji8]
How are you uploading the pictures @Pearly ?

The Android app doesn't work. The iOS app does. In the website version use the "Upload a File" button.

On my Android tablet, I use the browser and login to the website version to upload photos. It's a pain as it is fiddly on a small screen, but it does work.

Pearly

5 Year Member
She's a girl. Not an expert though. A male has a wider anal carapace structure (sorry if that's a wrong anatomical term) and long tail for the penis to be comfortably in I guess. Hers is just as my star female short and fat. So mostly yeah a GIRL!

Were you able to see my pictures??? And thank you for your response

Pearly

5 Year Member
Pearly. I can’t see the photos and you tagging me didn’t work for some reason.

How are you uploading the pictures @Pearly ?

The Android app doesn't work. The iOS app does. In the website version use the "Upload a File" button.

On my Android tablet, I use the browser and login to the website version to upload photos. It's a pain as it is fiddly on a small screen, but it does work.

Yeah, I didn't/don't see an image. Sorry.

IMG_4856.jpg trying this again. Linda I’m using my iphone like I always have. When I go to post there is a bar on the bottom with camera, or photo selection from my pics stored, or a paper clip icon which basically leads me to this same route of selecting pics from my album. I must be missing something here

Pearly

5 Year Member
Oh! Damn!!!! I can see the picture!!!! Can you guys??? This time i used the paper clip which is new to me here. I always used to click on the “landscape” icon to browse my pictures

Pearly

5 Year Member
IMG_4698.jpghere is Shellie’s belly. IMG_4699.jpg here is her butt closeup. IMG_4853.jpg here is her carapace. IMG_4857.jpg and here tried to show that bit of plastron concavity i should have put down a pencil or ruler to make it more visible

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 235616 trying this again. Linda I’m using my iphone like I always have. When I go to post there is a bar on the bottom with camera, or photo selection from my pics stored, or a paper clip icon which basically leads me to this same route of selecting pics from my album. I must be missing something here
I see them too :)