Is my Sulcata laying eggs??

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I just got done posting about re-homing my female Sulcata due to aggression. After posting I walk outside to find her digging a hole with her hind legs (she has never dug a hole in the 6yrs that I have had her). I have caught my male mounting her on numerous occasions but he never seemed to know what he was doing haha. Does this sound like she may be laying eggs?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
If she is digging with both back legs creating a hole in the middle and spreading the dirt sideways on each side then yes, sounds like you have the start of a nest there. Mine will dig several holes, I think to see which one they like best it seems, before she decided to lay eggs.

Look like this?
marge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, exactly what she is doing.

Here's a pic......
947160_10201246767869613_1056818817_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience that the first clutch by male or female is usually close to 100% hatchable. Do you have an incubator?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I agree with Yvonne, you are soon to have eggs there. You can leave them in the ground and chance it, or dig them up and incubate them. My first clutch has hatched 7 out of 11 so far.

She may dig several times over a week before laying, but once she starts, she will lay eggs. Have a plan in place if you are going to incubate them and read lots of threads. Tom has been an amazing help to me through my process. If you choose to dig them up, then let her finish her job totally and walk away before you mess with getting eggs. The whole deal will take 4 to 5 hours to finish. I tried to catch the eggs while she was laying one time and it really stressed her out so I don't do that anymore.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well, my instinct was right. No questioning it now. We have eggs. I do not have a incubator. Where can I buy one at? Do they ever hatch naturally in AZ weather?

I was able to sneak some pictures.....she is burying them now.

969311_10201247020755935_1008342637_n.jpg

945484_10201247088637632_13715127_n.jpg

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Where in Arizona do you live, In a lot of the state they do incubate naturally in the ground. Is your property flood irrigated? That could be a problem.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm in Mesa AZ. She laid where the sprinklers would get the ground wet. No flooding though.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
very fun! best of luck to you. I look forward to following what happens. I would definitely be overwhelmed.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In Mesa this time of year those eggs will be just fine if you leave them. Build a sturdy little fence around the nest to capture them in about 4 months. A favorite saying on this forum is, "how eggciting"

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks, we'll see how this goes. She has the eggs nice and buried and she's resting under my grape bush now. I think she deserves an apple :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
She sure did some work, so I agree on the apple!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, they can and will hatch in AZ in the ground. Especially in Mesa. Be on the lookout for babies in mid- to late August.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow!!! Please keep us updated and show pictures of those babies when they hatch!! Good luck!!:) :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You should have no problem in Mesa hatching them out from the ground. Like Tom said keep an eye out. Also keep an eye out on your calender for 30 days from now. She will probably lay another clutch. Possibly 2-3 more. Being her first time she may only lay 2 clutches though.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
yes indeed! I love seeing tortoises lay eggs. It's the coolest thing ever. Keep us updated in a few months from now. I would incubate them out of ground, but thats totally up to you. Good luck either way

conservation

10 Year Member!
That is very cool!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TortForum mobile app