Is my Sully pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rock Hill, SC
I'm not too sure how old he is. But I'm sure I'm being parnoid but I really don't want him to start pyramiding. I soak him every night and mist him 4+ times a day. What do you think?
DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Cory, I'm not the expert but by judging from what I've been told I'd have to say no.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't see any evidence of it, how do you keep it?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I dont see a problem, besides the soaking and misting what your humidity like in the enclosure?

Cory

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
The humidity on the cool side average mid tank is 70-80 and on the hot side 60-75. He has a humid hide and a water dish in the tank with him. And I mist him constantly so more than 4 times a day. I am just worried because his top 2 scutes look like the are more pointed than any of the others.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Still very small, but the new growth looks fine.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Cory said:
The humidity on the cool side average mid tank is 70-80 and on the hot side 60-75. He has a humid hide and a water dish in the tank with him. And I mist him constantly so more than 4 times a day. I am just worried because his top 2 scutes look like the are more pointed than any of the others.

He looks great and you are doing great!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The humidity is good...but what is the heat level....cool end should be around 80 and the basking point should reach a minimum of 100...and they can withstand temps over 120. Soak him in warm water twice a day...at least 20 minutes per session. Past that you're doing GREAT!

Cory

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
It's 80 on the cool side 78 in the hide 100 on the hot 105 to 110 on the basking spot and the entire tank is maintained just under 80 at night. And I soak him at least once a day most twice for 20 to 30 each time. I'm just worried I'm not doing it right but thanks again for your replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see any pyramiding at all. Your are probably just noticing the raised growth area between the scutes. This is normal.

Your enclosure and routine sounds perfect and I doubt you will experience any pyramiding with this tortoise.

Cory

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
I weighed him yesterday after dinner so this morning he is only registering 60g and here is a pic of him on the measuring tape.
DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
He is doing just fine ............keep up the good work !

JD~:)

Cory

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
Thanks everyone, I am just so paranoid that I'm going to screw up so I'm over analyzing everything.

M

Maggie Cummings

He looks good Cory, except in the pix where you are holding him he looks pretty grumpy. I disagree with Dean, he doesn't need to be soaked twice a day. They drink all the water they are going to in the first 10 minutes of the soaking. I believe one 15 minute soaking daily is good enough. That has worked for all the torts I have raised. But you do what you will...good job!

Cory

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
Figured I would update his weight and size this little guy is growing fast.
DSC_0225-1.jpg

DSC_0224-1.jpg

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
heheheheh you sound like a new parent! He looks fine to me but im not sure when pyramiding looks like on such a young tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.