Is my tortious trying to hibernate?

Cewnoks

Location (City and/or State)
Winchester
My tortious was in a a half grass half soil enclosure last summer however I noticed he only went to the soil. He loves lavender so her would go over to the lavender plant dog himself a pit and sit in it. Since he only used the same spot in the soil this year I have made him a full soil enclosure. However he has started acting very strange. I was going to cheak on him and only just found him because a small part of his shell was poking up. As I pulled him out of the soil I found he had buried himself at a 65 degree angle very deep down head first. I later have lost him on many occasions and have had to dig him out with a spade. I am very confused what he is doing. This is his 2 summer with me and he has only had 1 winter with me. His previous owners never hybonated him even though he is 8. So I started hybonating him this year for the first time but only did 4 weekes so that he could get used to it but now I’m wondering if he is trying to hybonate in the soil???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortious was in a a half grass half soil enclosure last summer however I noticed he only went to the soil. He loves lavender so her would go over to the lavender plant dog himself a pit and sit in it. Since he only used the same spot in the soil this year I have made him a full soil enclosure. However he has started acting very strange. I was going to cheak on him and only just found him because a small part of his shell was poking up. As I pulled him out of the soil I found he had buried himself at a 65 degree angle very deep down head first. I later have lost him on many occasions and have had to dig him out with a spade. I am very confused what he is doing. This is his 2 summer with me and he has only had 1 winter with me. His previous owners never hybonated him even though he is 8. So I started hybonating him this year for the first time but only did 4 weekes so that he could get used to it but now I’m wondering if he is trying to hybonate in the soil???
Tortoises do not hibernate in summer in warm weather. Hibernation is for escaping cold weather.

What species are we talking about? Size and age? Where is Winchester? The photos Blackdog suggested will help up to help you.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes, please post some pictures of the tortoise and where he is kept, it will help us to figure out what's going on with him (her?).

Cewnoks

Winchester
This is his current pen we made it smaller so that we could find him easily
DC4AD32B-7961-4CC4-83C9-D31C541340FB.jpeg080AFF12-DF2A-46B8-A2EF-1410A0934FBF.jpeg
This was his first pen until he started to bury himself

Cewnoks

Winchester
Tortoises do not hibernate in summer in warm weather. Hibernation is for escaping cold weather.

What species are we talking about? Size and age? Where is Winchester? The photos Blackdog suggested will help up to help you.
He is 8 turning 9 next week, and is a Mediterranean Herman and is roughy 25-39 cm