Is my Tortoise a boy or girl.

Givengrace23

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset PA
So we rescued a leopard tortoise back in January. “She” was still somewhat small. We thought from a few things we read online that it was a girl. Now that we’ve had “her” for 9 months she has grown by leaps and bounds...to me it looks more like a boy from what internet pictures show...but I’m no expert at all and was wanting advice from fellow tortoise owners. What is you opinion? One pic is just to show “her” off cause we think she’s super cool. The other is for helping to figure out if we need to stop calling her Roxy and switch to Rocky. Lol

89D73A2A-1BA9-4BB3-B7BC-64F87E7E6C7A.jpeg70A94C16-344B-4CC0-AE3B-50E02268F585.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I cannot see enough of the bottom of the tortoise because it gets cut off when the attachment opens up. Try holding it up higher in the frame and posting another picture of the tail area. IE, cut the head out of the picture and center the tail area in the picture so it doesn't get chopped off at the bottom.

Or maybe you can post the full picture you already have instead of the thumbnail.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So we rescued a leopard tortoise back in January. “She” was still somewhat small. We thought from a few things we read online that it was a girl. Now that we’ve had “her” for 9 months she has grown by leaps and bounds...to me it looks more like a boy from what internet pictures show...but I’m no expert at all and was wanting advice from fellow tortoise owners. What is you opinion? One pic is just to show “her” off cause we think she’s super cool. The other is for helping to figure out if we need to stop calling her Roxy and switch to Rocky. Lol

Lucky you with rescuing a Leopard! Looks great. I’ll guess female too. But need more pix of the tail area.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am guessing boy, for now? however I have Miss. Dexter Persimmons because I was wrong

Givengrace23

Somerset PA
3DAD4973-DEB8-4BD3-A859-CF1994636B8A.jpeg

Givengrace23

Somerset PA
I cannot see enough of the bottom of the tortoise because it gets cut off when the attachment opens up. Try holding it up higher in the frame and posting another picture of the tail area. IE, cut the head out of the picture and center the tail area in the picture so it doesn't get chopped off at the bottom.

Or maybe you can post the full picture you already have instead of the thumbnail.
I uploaded another pic. Hopefully it’s more helpful

zovick

10 Year Member!
I uploaded another pic. Hopefully it’s more helpful
That new picture is better (at least IMHO). Going by the size of the tail, the obtuse angle between the widely spread anal scutes, and the supracaudal scute curling in rather than flaring out, I would say that the tortoise appears to be a male at this time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I have to disagree. While the tips of the anal scutes do point straight back, a female trait, that's definitely a male tail. It could be he's still in the process of changing characteristics

pcrealty

Wynnewood

View attachment 307277View attachment 307278

Attachments

• male vs female tortoises.jpg
    male vs female tortoises.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 45

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no guessing. This is an obvious male. Female tails are a quarter that size.