Is my tortoise hibernating

Josie16

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
So my brother got a tortoise and she's probably around 5, my brother has stopped paying attention and I took the role of becoming her mom. How do I tell if she's hibernating or is sick

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need more info like what species?
How old
Pic of enclosure
Temps and lighting/heating used
Diet

Josie16

Illinois
We need more info like what species?
How old
Pic of enclosure
Temps and lighting/heating used
Diet
I'm at school right now so I can't get pictures until later but she uses a uvb tube and a heat dome, her tank is usually 90-95 degrees and we offer her arugula, mustard greens, and another one that name I can't recall. She hasn't eaten for a couple weeks though. I just got the responsibilities last night and am trying to figure out what to do

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So I'm assuming this is a Russian? Or Hermanns? Gotta know the species.
90-95 is too hot for an over all temp for any species.
Basking spot needs to be 95-100F but over all needs to be 75F to 80F if it's the species I mentioned. No heat at night if temps don't go below 60F.
If it is a species that does hibernate, and you don't want it too, make the enclosure bright and lights on for 12 hours. Get temps right too and maybe keep night temps at 70F.
Diet needs more variety.

Josie16

Illinois
So I'm assuming this is a Russian? Or Hermanns? Gotta know the species.
90-95 is too hot for an over all temp for any species.
Basking spot needs to be 95-100F but over all needs to be 75F to 80F if it's the species I mentioned. No heat at night if temps don't go below 60F.
If it is a species that does hibernate, and you don't want it too, make the enclosure bright and lights on for 12 hours. Get temps right too and maybe keep night temps at 70F.
Diet needs more variety.
She's a Russian tortoise, I'm sorry I meant the basking spot not the overall temperature. Do you have any recommendations on other greens I should be feeding her?

Josie16

Illinois

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the time of year that tortoises start thinking about brumating. They slow down eating, or even stop altogether. If your tortoise came from a pet shop chances are good he's wild caught and his body is still tuned in to when he was living in the wild. If you don't want him to brumate (hibernate) you'll have to be sure to keep the enclosure warm, night and day, keep the lights on for 12 or 13 hours a day. Some tortoises are very hard to keep up during the winter. Yours may be one of them.

You might try soaking him every day for a half hour or so to try to keep him awake.

Josie16

Illinois
This is the time of year that tortoises start thinking about brumating. They slow down eating, or even stop altogether. If your tortoise came from a pet shop chances are good he's wild caught and his body is still tuned in to when he was living in the wild. If you don't want him to brumate (hibernate) you'll have to be sure to keep the enclosure warm, night and day, keep the lights on for 12 or 13 hours a day. Some tortoises are very hard to keep up during the winter. Yours may be one of them.

You might try soaking him every day for a half hour or so to try to keep him awake.
This may sound silly but is there any way she is depressed? I just got care of her (she was my brother's but he never took her out)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the caresheet you need to follow to make sure s/he has everything needed and covers everything including temps and diet

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to safe foods and which are better than others.

It is difficult to retain heat and humidity in an open table so maybe consider getting a mini portable greenhouse to cover it with and hang the lamps inside.
Is the lamp you have an 'all-in-one' (MVB) and do you provide night heat?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
So my brother got a tortoise and she's probably around 5, my brother has stopped paying attention and I took the role of becoming her mom. How do I tell if she's hibernating or is sick
Hello Josie, how old are you hun?

You'll get good advice here but sometimes knowing if the tort mom is a kid or teenager at home can help us, help you better :)

Josie16

Illinois
This is the caresheet you need to follow to make sure s/he has everything needed and covers everything including temps and diet

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to safe foods and which are better than others.

It is difficult to retain heat and humidity in an open table so maybe consider getting a mini portable greenhouse to cover it with and hang the lamps inside.
Is the lamp you have an 'all-in-one' (MVB) and do you provide night heaon't provide heat over night, however it's

Is the lamp you have an 'all-in-one' (MVB) and do you provide night heat?
Thanks you for the guide, I don't provide heat at night but it never gets lower than 70 where she is in the house. I use a uvb tube and a heat lamp

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks for taking the tortoise I am sure with a few changes you will have a happy active tort. I see no water dish in the picture can you get a flat plant base dish that the tortoise can walk in and sit in and replenish twice a day with clean water. They must have access to fresh clean water 24 x7.

Please read the care sheet and check settings and ask questions.

Josie16

Illinois
Do you have any idea if the enclosure is the right size? I'm seeing conflicting reviews

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any idea if the enclosure is the right size? I'm seeing conflicting reviews
It is way too small. Stop reading other sources of info and stick the the info that Lyn posted for you. Most of the care info from pet stores and internet sites, YT, and FB is terrible and all wrong. Reading that stuff will only confuse and frustrate you. We will help you. Start with the link from Lyn, and then ask as many questions as you like. We are here to talk tortoises.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
I have to say, Clydie, my Russian tortoise is slowing down these days also. She had the backyard enclosure this summer and endless weeds to eat in the daytime, and came back home to her indoor enclosure at night. However, just as in the previous years, she slows down after 7,8 months of active life. I normally would give her one month to slow down and eventually stop feeding for 1 or 2 weeks and prepare her to brumate in the fridge for 3 months. Clydie was captive born and is 6 years old now.

Shelled

Oxfordshire
Josie, just a big compliment of starting to research the proper needs and care for your tortoise as soon as you were given the reponsibility.
The enclosure might be too small, but that's probably not the easiest to fix for you right now, and as long as he's inactive, a bigger enclsosure won't make much difference.
Read, learn and keep asking.