Is my tortoise preparing for hibernation?

Tortieporty

Location (City and/or State)
East Yorkshire
So over the last few weeks I’ve noticed my 2 1/2 year old Horsefield tortoise slowing down a bit. She appears healthy still, weight is good, eyes and nose are clear, pooing less as she’s eating less but urates and urine looks good. She’s kept indoors as the weather in the uk now isn’t as favourable, 35 degree c basking spot, cooler area on the other side with hide, baths every 1-2 days, the only thing I can think of is that she’s eating less and spending more time in her burrow in preparation for hibernation? I still put her food out everyday and she eats some but it’s noticeably less
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely yes. So many threads this time of year of mainly Russians slowing down. Other do too but we see it more in Russians.
Just double check all heating and lighting just to be sure those are correct and not the problem.
If you are keeping her up, make the enclosure brightly lite for 12 hours and maybe not let nights get colder then 68-70

Tortieporty

East Yorkshire
Most likely yes. So many threads this time of year of mainly Russians slowing down. Other do too but we see it more in Russians.
Just double check all heating and lighting just to be sure those are correct and not the problem.
If you are keeping her up, make the enclosure brightly lite for 12 hours and maybe not let nights get colder then 68-70
Thanks for that wellington, since I posted she has been eating less and less, I’ve watched her outright refuse food and walk over it. She is still active though and walks out to be under the heat when she wakes up. I’m thinking I might raise night time temps slightly, it feels okay to me but I can’t tell if it’s alright for her. Everything else is still fine but I’m hoping she will get hungry enough and eat soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine is not eating either
Temps can go down to 60F with no problem to them. But to help keep them up during winter, I keep mine warmer, at least 70.

Tortieporty

East Yorkshire
Mine is not eating either
Temps can go down to 60F with no problem to them. But to help keep them up during winter, I keep mine warmer, at least 70.
That’s great my night time temps are already in the middle of that so could bump it up a bit. She’s 2 and a bit years old now so I don’t know how long she can last without eating normally especially if she still moves around a fair bit but she gets bathed regularly so fluids should be alright hopefully

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That’s great my night time temps are already in the middle of that so could bump it up a bit. She’s 2 and a bit years old now so I don’t know how long she can last without eating normally especially if she still moves around a fair bit but she gets bathed regularly so fluids should be alright hopefully
They can go quite a while without food. Remember the species that hibernate don't eat for at least 2 weeks before they start their hibernation and then for 3 plus months. However because they are up and in heat they do need to stay hydrated