Is my tortoise sick or in deep hibernation?

Sarahmc

Location (City and/or State)
Belfast
Hi everyone, I have just joined today. I have had a horsefield tortoise for about 12 years or so, yesterday I went to check on him and noticed his shell was red in places and his limbs were limp and his eyes look a bit sunken in. He doesn't seem to be reacting to anything and was just wondering if anyone has had this issue as I'm very worried.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Photos please of the tortoise. The red on the shell doesn’t sound good.

A hibernating tortoise is like a house brick to handle. Cold and hardly any movement. Definitely not limp.

Was this tortoise being hibernated?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Was this tort hibernating outdoors in Belfast? It has been very wet and cold for the last few weeks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Got an appointment with the vets today, they wanted me to wait a week as they said he could be hibernating but I just didn't feel comfortable with that
What you describe doesn’t sound like hibernation to me. The red on the shell is potentially very serious. It suggest internal bleeding. Has the tortoise been dropped or fallen?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I keep him indoors in his tortoise table, beside lots of heat
He shouldn’t be hibernating then. It has to get down below 10C for that to happen.

A cold tortoise isn’t limp. A sick one is another matter. Keep him warm until you see the vet.

Let us know how you get on

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
This does sound concerning, torts dont just suddenly hibernate, it is a process that takes weeks for them to prepare for. Has the tort shown any signs of life?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To be honest, Sarah, it really does sound as if he has died. I'm so sorry. Please let us know what the vet says.

gibby

Philadelphia
Hi everyone, I have just joined today. I have had a horsefield tortoise for about 12 years or so, yesterday I went to check on him and noticed his shell was red in places and his limbs were limp and his eyes look a bit sunken in. He doesn't seem to be reacting to anything and was just wondering if anyone has had this issue as I'm very worried.
im sorry i just lost a redfoot i hope your tort is ok ..all the best