Is My Tortoise Sleeping Too Much?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone. I have been terribly worried about my tort, lately. He eats and drinks well, thank God. However, (and despite the relatively hot weather), he sleeps literally all the time unless I take him out for a so-called "walk" or I take him out so as to soak him and feed him. Temperature here in about 27 degrees C during the day (80.6 degrees F) which is nice and hot. I sit and wonder what o earth is wrong with him.

I put on his light but even that is not doing any good. He crawls to his favourite corner and falls asleep immediately. He remains asleep till the next day. Even during a snowstorm he did not behave like this. Isn't strange? Btw, he does get into these "weird" moods every now and again, as @ZEROPILOT once said. However, there must be an explanation/ a reason. Or am I mistaken?

You help and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks you.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Hi everyone. I have been terribly worried about my tort, lately. He eats and drinks well, thank God. However, (and despite the relatively hot weather), he sleeps literally all the time unless I take him out for a so-called "walk" or I take him out so as to soak him and feed him. Temperature here in about 27 degrees C during the day (80.6 degrees F) which is nice and hot. I sit and wonder what o earth is wrong with him.

I put on his light but even that is not doing any good. He crawls to his favourite corner and falls asleep immediately. He remains asleep till the next day. Even during a snowstorm he did not behave like this. Isn't strange? Btw, he does get into these "weird" moods every now and again, as @ZEROPILOT once said. However, there must be an explanation/ a reason. Or am I mistaken?

You help and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks you.
I read that if it is too hot, tortoises will sleep more during the day. Are you keeping him inside? What is the temperature in his enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
80 is a good over all temp. What is the basking temp? Does he have lots of cover? I'm guessing this is an outdoor enclosure as you mentioned outdoor temps?
If not outdoor enclosure are you sure hes not too hot?
If everything else seems normal than it could be just one of those weird time ZERPILOT has mentioned before. Keep him hydrated

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oli does get into these slumps every so often. And then seems to be just fine.
I think you are a better keeper than you realize.
You've had great success.
And I think that the level of concern that you show for your tortoise is admirable.
My RF often sleep and hide all day if it is too cool or too warm. Sometimes that goes on for days.
It's a hardwired survival instinct.
Neither good nor bad. And normal as far as I'm concerned.
Especially since it happens again and again and there seems to be no harm done.
You're a sweet and kind woman.
I honestly believe he is going to be fine.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes I read that if it is too hot, tortoises will sleep more during the day. Are you keeping him inside? What is the temperature in his enclosure?
Yes, as I live in an apartment. Room temperature is about 27 degrees C as I mentioned. It's much hotter outside.

Thanks a lot your help. Appreciate it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
80 is a good over all temp. What is the basking temp? Does he have lots of cover? I'm guessing this is an outdoor enclosure as you mentioned outdoor temps?
If not outdoor enclosure are you sure hes not too hot?
If everything else seems normal than it could be just one of those weird time ZERPILOT has mentioned before. Keep him hydrated
Yes, he does have lots of cover. However, the enclosure is indoors. It's much hotter in the striking sun.

I give him a soak daily and if there's a heatwave then I soak him twice daily. And I spray his enclosure with water each and every day, due to the fact that the climate here is an extremely dry one.

Thanks a lot you help which I appreciate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oli does get into these slumps every so often. And then seems to be just fine.
I think you are a better keeper than you realize.
You've had great success.
And I think that the level of concern that you show for your tortoise is admirable.
My RF often sleep and hide all day if it is too cool or too warm. Sometimes that goes on for days.
It's a hardwired survival instinct.
Neither good nor bad. And normal as far as I'm concerned.
Especially since it happens again and again and there seems to be no harm done.
You're a sweet and kind woman.
I honestly believe he is going to be fine.
Oh Ed, thank you so much your kind and encouraging words. Was relieved to read your post. Thank you, Ed!

I tend to worry so much due to the fact that I have never had a pet before, let alone a....tortoise! Let alone that, at times he struggles to get out of his enclosure. Now he's sleeping "24 hours a day," if so I my put it.

Once again thank you, Ed.