Is my Tortoise Territorial with me?

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone!

I have a Russian and Leopard Tortoise outdoor enclosure and go in there frequently to check up on them, water the plants in their enclosures, refill their water dishes, feed them, ect. Almost every time I go out there, my Leopard walks up to my foot and kind of sniffs it, and just is overall interested in me. Is this just him saying hi and expecting food, or is he getting territorial and sees my foot as some sort of rival tortoise? Would love to know.

Thanks!

(P.S. My Russian and Leopard do not live together, their enclosures are just close to each other.)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy follows me all over his enclosure , and will walk right over my foot while I am getting his food ready . ! believe he is just saying Hi to the "food guy" ! I do have a pair of moccasins that he seems to find sort of tasty ! :D

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Imagine having a 130lb Sulcata come up and ram you with those gulars when you're not paying attention! that can HURT!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My Greek usually sniffs my foot before starting to butt so I'd say it's territorial.

Are you keeping these two together? The size difference concerns me and they really shouldn't be kept together.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
My Greek usually sniffs my foot before starting to butt so I'd say it's territorial.

Are you keeping these two together? The size difference concerns me and they really shouldn't be kept together.

No, their enclosures are close together, but they are still separate from each other.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My Redfoot is just a foot sniffer. He doesn't ram, he just wants to sniff your toes and follow you around.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
It could be either/or. Good way to tell is to throw food in their path. Most of mine approach me out of curiosity or hunger, but I have one who will charge over food to have a stare down with my toes.

T.G.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As long as there is no ramming or biting, smelling is just curiosity and you're being checked out.

surfergirl

My sully will push you into the next zip code if you stay around his new house entrance too long. thinking they are just protecting what they have, food, burrow, space, etc. my guy doesn't all out ram you but he will pushhhhh. alot. lol!

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
my larger russian sniffs as well. ive always thought it was just how he knew it was me because then he just stares waiting to be fed or get a neck rub lol