is my tortoise trying to hibernate??

olivia p

Location (City and/or State)
missouri
hi! my names olivia and i have a male russian tortoise that i’ve had for about a year. up to a couple weeks ago he has been active and eating and seemingly normal.
lately, he has not eaten hardly anything and is sleeping like 24/7. i soak him every other day if not everyday to try to wake him up but nothing has helped. i have a heat lamp that is about 100 degrees in the warmest part of the basking area and 80 ish on the colder side.
the part that’s worrying me the most is that he hasn’t been eating. right now he seems like he’s trying to hibernate but it is the middle of summer where i live and the temps seem to be normal summer temps. yesterday he completely buried himself in the grasses and hasn’t come out yet today.
i’m planning on taking him to the vet in a couple days but i’m extremely worried because i don’t know how to correctly hibernate a tortoise and would feel a lot more comfortable with him just being awake all the time. am i missing something??

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, I wouldn't think hibernation. Pics of your tort and the enclosure would help members here to try and analyze. I think a vet as soon as possible is a good idea.
Good luck keep us posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's outside, then he's probably aestivating. Hot weather causes them to do that.

Shuler24

Michigan
If he's outside, then he's probably aestivating. Hot weather causes them to do that.
Hey Yvonne, that’s interesting, Sheldon has slowed down a little to, and is going to sleep earlier and sleeping in, although he is eating normal, and active during the afternoon, but he has been enjoy outside time a lot and it has been hotter then normal. We make sure to soak him, etc, but can you give some guidance on why a tortoise would aestivate? Is it normal, should we monitor anything? Although Sheldon is also moody so there is that....