Is my tortoise's penis normal or swollen?

mesicaa

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hi all,

Hi I'm Jess and I've got a 4 year old Hermann's tortoise called Wellington who I'm pretty sure is male as he's been flashing during baths and mounting plant pots etc. This morning I noticed his penis was fully out and he's being vocal with sqeaks. Once I picked him up to have a look and check everything was ok he retracted it. I was just hoping for some reassurance that this is normal, I was slightly shocked because there was a lot more than he's shown during baths before, and that there is no need to take him to a vet? Attaching pictures for reference.

Attachments

• 20230331_085257.jpg
    20230331_085257.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230331_085251.jpg
    20230331_085251.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, all looks fine. It is a shock when they let it all hang out lol
The only time you really need to worry is if he can't get it back in, then there is a problem.
They usually, when they first start showing it, will do it often, about a month or so and then they finally get over their proudness of their manhood and won't display it as often.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Hi I'm Jess and I've got a 4 year old Hermann's tortoise called Wellington who I'm pretty sure is male as he's been flashing during baths and mounting plant pots etc. This morning I noticed his penis was fully out and he's being vocal with sqeaks. Once I picked him up to have a look and check everything was ok he retracted it. I was just hoping for some reassurance that this is normal, I was slightly shocked because there was a lot more than he's shown during baths before, and that there is no need to take him to a vet? Attaching pictures for reference.
Hello Jess - we have a Hermann's tortoise too - he is nearly 23, and started doing the same thing when he was about 4, too. He doesn't do it much in the winter, but in spring every year he starts climbing around and rubbing himself on all sorts of things, and making funny little squeaks - it frequently ends with him having a large pee !! He is also much more aggressive at times - especially to my shoes.To be fair, most of the time he is friendly and lovely, as usual - I'm just warning you, so you won't be worried that something is wrong. We tend to leave him alone when this happens, or distract him in some way if we can,(as you would a child ! )
Best wishes - oh, and welcome to the TFO
Angie (from Devon)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is normal. As Wellington said, its only a problem if they can't/don't get it back in.