Is my tortoises' shell unhealthy?

lenright77

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
When we got him he had a slightly bumpy shell but I feel as though it's getting a bit worse, so here I am asking for advice.

First off, I keep this guy in a 4'8 viv and have a mini Mercury vapour D3 basking lamp which provides UVB and UVA. I leave this on for 12 hours a day (around 30°C) and turn it off at night. His substrate gets sprayed every day and I bathe him around 3-4 times a week in luke-warm water. He eats a mixture of weeds from outside, dried out flower botanical flower mix along with cactus plant, kale and spring lettus mix with a sprincle of Nutrobal Calcium Powder.

What am I doing wrong? Advice would be great, thank you!

Attachments

• 20210519_210222.jpg
    20210519_210222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When we got him he had a slightly bumpy shell but I feel as though it's getting a bit worse, so here I am asking for advice.

First off, I keep this guy in a 4'8 viv and have a mini Mercury vapour D3 basking lamp which provides UVB and UVA. I leave this on for 12 hours a day (around 30°C) and turn it off at night. His substrate gets sprayed every day and I bathe him around 3-4 times a week in luke-warm water. He eats a mixture of weeds from outside, dried out flower botanical flower mix along with cactus plant, kale and spring lettus mix with a sprincle of Nutrobal Calcium Powder.

What am I doing wrong? Advice would be great, thank you!
What is the substrate? Spraying the surface doesn't do much.
What is the ambient humidity inside the viv?
Is there a humid hide?
MVBs cause pyramiding. Better to use regular incandescent floods and HO tubes for UV.

lenright77

Ireland
What is the substrate? Spraying the surface doesn't do much.
What is the ambient humidity inside the viv?
Is there a humid hide?
MVBs cause pyramiding. Better to use regular incandescent floods and HO tubes for UV.

lenright77

Ireland
I use lucky reptile tortoise bedding for the substrate and the humidity is around 45. Yes there is a humid hide as well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use lucky reptile tortoise bedding for the substrate and the humidity is around 45. Yes there is a humid hide as well
I think the Lucky Reptile bedding is soil and sand, right? That's not so lucky. Soil and sand should never be used. You'll be lucky if the tortoise doesn't get impacted. You need coco coir for babies or orchid bark for older ones.

Humidity should be closer to 70% for a small growing baby, but with damp substrate they can dig into to create their own humid microclimates.

More here:

lenright77

Ireland
I think the Lucky Reptile bedding is soil and sand, right? That's not so lucky. Soil and sand should never be used. You'll be lucky if the tortoise doesn't get impacted. You need coco coir for babies or orchid bark for older ones.

Humidity should be closer to 70% for a small growing baby, but with damp substrate they can dig into to create their own humid microclimates.

More here:
Okay I will change the substrate to coco coir