Is my yearling small?

Mrs.Campos3

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
My red foot should be a year this month. I have a hunch they gave us the wrong age when we got him or he's just not a fast grower. He's 123g about a little over 3 inches long. Heat 80f throughout right under CHE 90f. Humidity 80%. He's very healthy and happy. Eats regularly, maybe skips a day here and there cause he's picky. Poops almost every day. Is he small?

Attachments

• IMG_20211231_101720_551.jpg
    IMG_20211231_101720_551.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 27

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My red foot should be a year this month. I have a hunch they gave us the wrong age when we got him or he's just not a fast grower. He's 123g about a little over 3 inches long. Heat 80f throughout right under CHE 90f. Humidity 80%. He's very healthy and happy. Eats regularly, maybe skips a day here and there cause he's picky. Poops almost every day. Is he small?
Probably not actually a year, I'd guess half that. They all grow at different rates though so I guess it's possible. Your tortoises growth looks fantastic though, great job ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Probably not actually a year, I'd guess half that. They all grow at different rates though so I guess it's possible. Your tortoises growth looks fantastic though, great job ?
I agree. He or she looks great.
And they all do grow at different speeds. Food, climate (enclosure type) and genetics can all play a part.
Was this tortoise housed with others in the past? That can also slow down growth.

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
We've had him since April 2021. He didn't have a yolk sack when we got him, do he's at least 10 months

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
I agree. He or she looks great.
And they all do grow at different speeds. Food, climate (enclosure type) and genetics can all play a part.
Was this tortoise housed with others in the past? That can also slow down growth.
Just us since he was really tiny. This picture is his first day home with us. His enclosure is a bit small. 50 gallon Rubbermaid bin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210521-213759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210521-213759_Gallery.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 17

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Got it. So he looks good? Growth ring wise? I've always had a hunch he was in the smaller side.
He or she looks very good.
There could be a growth spurt..
But I wouldn't dwell on his size as long as you see steady weight gains month to month.

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
He or she looks very good.
There could be a growth spurt..
But I wouldn't dwell on his size as long as you see steady weight gains month to month.
I was a bit worried for a while because he didn't gain aby weight for 3 months. Then all of a sudden we could tell he had grown and weighed him and he had gained a bit. He definitely has growth spurts vs steady growth.