Is New Closed Chamber I Ordered Worth The Difference? Size Questions

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I was told/hoping my little Hermann’s could stay in his Christmas tree bin for life but now I’m wondering. He’s supposed to be the smallest variety but looks to me that he’s getting big. At least to me lol, as I have no comparison.

He’s pacing the edges and trying to climb the walls.

He’s now 272 grams. I’m shocked! Maybe I overfed him? His plastron is 4” or so.

Could you help me determine if the PVC enclosure I have on order is large enough or with the difference in the bin?

I bought 60L x 24H x 24D inch model with the bioactive option. It’s 7” longer than his tree bin. Is it worth it?

Is 24” H high enough for an Arcadia 12% light fixture over a 6” substrate? He runs from it as well as the 6% that’s across his 14” bin now. I plan to get a solar meter to check, but is 24” H minus the 6” substrate likely enough?

To sum up, I’m wondering if I need longer than 60” and higher than 24. It’s not a great time for me to have to upgrade the enclosure I ordered.

I hope to give him a daytime outdoor enclosure during good weather soon. I have to get rid of fire ants first. There are too many strays and wildlife at night for my comfort so he will have to stay in his indoor enclosure at least part of every day.

Thanks.

Terri

Attachments

• 8708F9F2-B46A-4335-ABBE-82347E71268E.jpeg
    8708F9F2-B46A-4335-ABBE-82347E71268E.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0A12AD22-F2B8-496A-8D21-AED12294D85F.jpeg
    0A12AD22-F2B8-496A-8D21-AED12294D85F.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 11

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was told/hoping my little Hermann’s could stay in his Christmas tree bin for life but now I’m wondering. He’s supposed to be the smallest variety but looks to me that he’s getting big. At least to me lol, as I have no comparison.

Could you help me determine if the PVC enclosure I have on order is large enough or with the difference in the bin?

I bought 60L x 24H x 24D inch model with the bioactive option. It’s 7” longer than his tree bin. Is it worth it?

Is 24” H high enough for an Arcadia 12% light fixture over a 6” substrate? He runs from it as well as the 6% that’s across his 14” bin now. I plan to get a solar meter to check, but is 24” H minus the 6” substrate likely enough?

To sum up, I’m wondering if I need longer than 60” and higher than 24. It’s not a great time for me to have to upgrade the enclosure I ordered.

I hope to give him a daytime outdoor enclosure during good weather soon. I have to get rid of fire ants first. There are too many strays and wildlife at night for my comfort so he will have to stay in his indoor enclosure at least part of every day.

Thanks.

Terri

Ive seen plenty of postings where folks have attached two of these enclosures side by side. There are a few ways, including making a tunnel or two, to attach.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks.

Terri
I use the 12% light in my 24 in High enclosure as per my Solarmeter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks.

Terri
I don't think its worth it. You need something 4x8 feet for when the tortoise is indoors.

You can't "over feed" him. They are grazers ad should be eating all day. What you are witnessing is good health and normal growth due to hydration and moderate humidity. You are housing and feeding the tortoise well, so it grows. As it should.

24 inches tall is enough for a 12% HO tube. They need to be around 18-20 inches over the tortoise's carapace. I've done them up against the ceiling in 18 inch tall enclosures.

You don't need 6 inches of substrate. 3-4 is plenty. You can do more if you want, but it isn't necessary.

You can carry him in and out every day. No harm in that. But if you make a temperature controlled insulated night house, you can simply close and latch the door each night and open the door each morning. This will get you outside sooner in spring and keep him outside later into fall. You have probably seen this already, but the night house is described and there are pics here:

Quixx66

Louisiana
I don't think its worth it. You need something 4x8 feet for when the tortoise is indoors.

You can't "over feed" him. They are grazers ad should be eating all day. What you are witnessing is good health and normal growth due to hydration and moderate humidity. You are housing and feeding the tortoise well, so it grows. As it should.

24 inches tall is enough for a 12% HO tube. They need to be around 18-20 inches over the tortoise's carapace. I've done them up against the ceiling in 18 inch tall enclosures.

You don't need 6 inches of substrate. 3-4 is plenty. You can do more if you want, but it isn't necessary.

You can carry him in and out every day. No harm in that. But if you make a temperature controlled insulated night house, you can simply close and latch the door each night and open the door each morning. This will get you outside sooner in spring and keep him outside later into fall. You have probably seen this already, but the night house is described and there are pics here:

This is so reassuring and helpful....es I have with keeping him. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Tom