Is new growth looking better?

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Sorry i am new to this
But what is the misting?
Absolutely no need to be sorry, I am new at this too I've only been in Sheldon's life since October. Questions are always good, it's really the only way anybody ever learns. It's just a bottle like this one, you pull the trigger and it shoots out a mist. I just do it once or twice a day on his shell.20180311_113734.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Absolutely no need to be sorry, I am new at this too I've only been in Sheldon's life since October. Questions are always good, it's really the only way anybody ever learns. It's just a bottle like this one, you pull the trigger and it shoots out a mist. I just do it once or twice a day on his shell.View attachment 232832
You can usually get them at any garden section at your local stores. You don't want to use one that has had chemicals in it or anything.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Absolutely no need to be sorry, I am new at this too I've only been in Sheldon's life since October. Questions are always good, it's really the only way anybody ever learns. It's just a bottle like this one, you pull the trigger and it shoots out a mist. I just do it once or twice a day on his shell.View attachment 232832
Ohhhhh
Means spray on him
Ahhh
I dont know
But how could you say yours tortoise is pyramiding?
Do he/she have a shell without any humps/bumps?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I agree with your assessments here. The "Shell Saver" stuff certainly adds a new twist to the discussion too. Thanks for sharing the details and info.

I just wanted to take a minute and show along with the daily misting and the soaking, the other thing that I have used. This is the Shell Saver stuff. I know that this forum advocates humidity, and what I have used is more of a quick fix. But since people were kind of surprised how smooth his growth has come in, I thought I would share all the details of what I have used over the last five and a half months. I've been applying it every Friday night since I got him back in October. I like to apply it in the night when he is sleeping, guess I worried I might stress him out. I also do this so the oil isn't heating up underneath his mercury vapor bulb and doing more harm than good. I let it penetrate overnight, and then wipe off the excess in the morning. Do I think this is a cure-all, no. I do think it has its benefits, I think I would have gotten the same or probably even better results if I would have gone right to a closed chamber first. Here's a few pictures of him with it on, before I rub the excess off.20180317_103657.jpg20180317_103739.jpg

20180316_224917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tom

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Love the back foot out! I might order some and give it a try, Vlad's carapace is much drier looking than Sheldon's

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Love the back foot out! I might order some and give it a try, Vlad's carapace is much drier looking than Sheldon's
After I wipe off the excess, it stays mildly wet looking for another day or two. His was real flaky looking when I got him back. It was almost kind of peeling in spots. I got it for $12 off Amazon, I figured if it works cool, and if not only out 12 bucks lol.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
After I wipe off the excess, it stays mildly wet looking for another day or two. His was real flaky looking when I got him back. It was almost kind of peeling in spots. I got it for $12 off Amazon, I figured if it works cool, and if not only out 12 bucks lol.
Just ordered some - only $10 currently [emoji16]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Just ordered some - only $10 currently [emoji16]
I hope it works for you, like I said it's not a cure-all. I was looking for anything and everything I could do until I got away from my tortoise table. Keep me posted on how it works for you.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I hope it works for you, like I said it's not a cure-all. I was looking for anything and everything I could do until I got away from my tortoise table. Keep me posted on how it works for you.

@Jay Bagley do you apply it after his soak? How soon do you soak him again after wiping off the excess? Just curious what your routine is.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
@Jay Bagley do you apply it after his soak? How soon do you soak him again after wiping off the excess? Just curious what your routine is.
Hey, I put it on when his basking light goes out for the night. And then I wipe off the excess the following morning before I soak him. I noticed if you don't wipe it off, dirt likes to stick to it.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I applied some of the shell saver stuff on Vlad last night. He didn't seem to mind it and it was much easier to apply than coconut oil. I'll probably continue to apply it on a semi regular basis

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I applied some of the shell saver stuff on Vlad last night. He didn't seem to mind it and it was much easier to apply than coconut oil. I'll probably continue to apply it on a semi regular basis
Glad it worked out for you. I actually bought some of the coconut oil, I just haven't tried it yet.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Please post pics of your results, I'm curious to see how this works on someone else's tortoise as well.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Thankyou, I I'm not very good at building things LOL. I remember when it was time to turn in our birdhouse in shop class mine fell apart. My dad is retired, and good at working with wood and gets bored easily. So when my daughter asked him to build it, he jumped at the opportunity and has been working on it and is spare time. I've been going over there to help, it's been a fun project to work on with my dad.
What a great time spent with your dad! I like to ask my dad to help me with projects even though I know my husband could help me. I just want to have extra time with him.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
What a great time spent with your dad! I like to ask my dad to help me with projects even though I know my husband could help me. I just want to have extra time with him.
I could not agree with you more. Life is short, spend it with the ones that truly make us happy.