Is ok to feed my baby albino res bloodworm?

JWiediyanto

I fed my baby albino red eat slider bloodworm everyday. Is it a good diet? I gave them one cube everyday. If it is not good, what is the best diet for my baby turtle? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412335951.881028.jpg
I fed them bloodworm with Chinese cabbage

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Sliders do seem to eat everything! Is that all he eats? Bloodwroms are okay as babies, but when he grows up, not very often. The cabbage shouldn't be a staple. russian/sulcata/tortoise's link is great. :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Blood worms are good to get the turtle started on. Once the little fella is actually eating, you want to introduce a quality pellet as a staple. Things like worms or meats should be given as a treat, and close to never in a larger slider.

JWiediyanto

From now on until 10cm I will give them bloodworm everyday but when he is 10 cm I will give him mazuri pellets

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
You actually can start introduce pellets to him starting 5 cm... Keep that blood worm till 10 cm and he might never want to switch to other food...
I feed my babies pellets starting 3 cm and blood worm of course as the staple at that size..

JWiediyanto

At what stage do you stop feeding him bloodworm? And what is the best baby pellets? I gave mind mazuri but they won't eat it

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Mazuri is good, there are thread here by a member which share good pellet brands for turtle, please read it. Some of the brands are available here in our country. You need to keep feeding the pellet. Eventually they will eat it, and mazuri pellet size might be too big for them now, so you might need to break it to smaller pieces so they can eat it easier.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
There are three different types of Mazuri made for chelonians, and Mazuri Croc Chow is a decent tool at times as well.

You should stop offering bloodworms now. Your turtle might never make it to a healthy 10 cm size if he is only offered bloodworms from now tip then.

JWiediyanto

What kind of pellets? The brand? Because the only pellet is mazuri and that is big, can I give him sanyu baby pellets ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412589752.062826.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Sure thing! that would be a temporary pellet, while the turtle is small. I'm sure it has more protein than is needed for Sliders.

For the record as well, hatchling turtles can handle mazuri. I have a one week old Spotted Turtle eating some right now. If that turtle can eat it, any turtle can.

And to elaborate, this is what I've been getting at. Turtles, just like us, are omnivores. Sliders in particular are more like herbivores, especially once they grow a bit.

Because they eat such a variety of items, it is important to offer a more well rounded food as a staple. A good pellet provides much of what the turtle needs. I even recommend using two or three different pellets.

Once you have at least one good pellet in the diet, then you can start supplementing the diet with other items. For a turtle as small as yours, you can supplement with high protein content items, like beef heart, earthworms, chicken, etc. Once the turtle starts growing, and as soon as possible, you want to start offering greens to get them in the habit of eating those.

In conclusion, feeding any one food by itself is never a great idea, but if you did, you'd want it to be a quality pellet. If you use humans as an analogy here, we would not do well eating only one thing for our lives, but if we did, it would be better if it were a 3 course meal with a salad and a multivitamin rather than a couple hotdogs. It's a more balanced meal, like good pellets are for turtles.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
That sanyu turtle pellet is trash, just throw it away...

I also don't think that pellet available in US, it's local one.