Is red lettuce safe for star tortoises?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Do you mean radicchio? There are a few different red leafed varieties.
I feed my leopard some red leaves, as part of a varied diet, but if you want to post a photo or copy and paste a picture of the lettuce you're talking from the internet about we can check it's OK.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk may help you.
You can also check on the food list in the caresheet

Chennai
Do you mean radicchio? There are a few different red leafed varieties.
I feed my leopard some red leaves, as part of a varied diet, but if you want to post a photo or copy and paste a picture of the lettuce you're talking from the internet about we can check it's OK.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk may help you.
You can also check on the food list in the caresheet
Hey, Lyn.. I have attched thr images of which Im talkin about,.
I have been using as daily food these two Bok choy and Romaine lettuce, mulbeery and hibiscus leaves and flowers too, but I get only bok choy & ramiane lettuce and hence i feed them as daily consumption
So I just got these red lettuce and kale available in recent days so thought I can add them as mixed for daily consumption. Please suggest if adviceble, and every often I sprinkle some multi vit and cal.Screenshot_20220203-170429_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220203-170358_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220203-170343_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220203-170243_Swiggy.jpgScreenshot_20220203-170227_Swiggy.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I 've never used the dark kale (my tort isn't too keen on the green kale either but he will eat a little) - I just use the top leafy parts of pak choi/bok choy. The rest looks OK to me - you can check on the links I posted.
However most lettuces don't have a great deal of nutritional value or fibre - some are better than others so foods such as dark leafy weeds and plants listed in the caresheet should be their main diet whenever possible. I only use shop bought foods overwinter or to bulk out food when weeds from chemical free sources are scarce.
Also check the tortoise table link it's a good guide to tort safe foods.
Vitamins should come from a good diet and only a small pinch of calcium a couple of times a week is usually recommended.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes to your first post red lettuce is fine. So is everything else you posted. Try to add even more to the list, like endive, riddichio, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, optunia cactus pads, etc. The bigger the variety the better.

Chennai
Yes to your first post red lettuce is fine. So is everything else you posted. Try to add even more to the list, like endive, riddichio, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, optunia cactus pads, etc. The bigger the variety the better.
Is collard green is different ?? Cuz iv been searching in collard green all i see are those green lettuce and other lettuce,..
Yesh i do give them spineless cactus every now and then,... and other vegies like endive, radichho and mustard greens im not finding the right name or right product when i sesrch in online. Is it somthing we can grow from seeds .. if possible please share a clear picture so that i can search in online with pictures..

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is collard green is different ?? Cuz iv been searching in collard green all i see are those green lettuce and other lettuce,..
Yesh i do give them spineless cactus every now and then,... and other vegies like endive, radichho and mustard greens im not finding the right name or right product when i sesrch in online. Is it somthing we can grow from seeds .. if possible please share a clear picture so that i can search in online with pictures..
In the UK I think spring/baby greens and kale are the nearest to collard. They are Ok in moderation.
If you can get it in India, Lambs Lettuce is a good food and can be grown from seed.
1643906835944.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, can we feed red lettuce to star tortoises?
Yes you can. All of those items are safe to feed to them, but none of those items are a great diet for a star tortoise. They should be eating primarily weeds, leaves, grasses and flowers. Not human salad fixin's. If you must use grocery store greens, you need to be adding amendments to make them more suitable. There are many way to do this. Its all explained here:

Get some grass seed from some place that sells it for seeding pastures for grazing animals, NOT from a hardware store or lawn grass seller, and sprout your own grass for them if need be. There are weeds and suitable leaves all around us that are free, and make far better tortoise food.