Is Rocky Trying to Run Away?

Pjfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Nh usa
So we have had Rocky since December and he has been healthy and somewhat content the past 6 months. I took some advice and we have had him wandering inside the house with supervision and as it has gotten warmer brought him outside. We live in New England so it has only been over 60 for a few weeks.
We have purchased a lot for an outdoor enclosure which we are putting together for him to be safely outside but in the interim we have brought him out for about an hour at a,time. He loves it. He is very closely supervised because he moves surprisingly fast.
He has enjoyed munching on the violet and dandelion leaves.
My question is that every time we take him out he Bee lines it toward the road which is in the direction of a large Resevoir. We pick him up bring him back and he immediately turns around and heads in the same direction.
There are native species of turtles including snappers and a red painted turtle was in our neighbors yard the other day.
My son thinks Rocky is trying to get to the water and my husband thinks he senses the other turtles and is looking for love.
Any ideas?
We stick a red Christmas bow on him to spot him easily. He doesn't seem to mind the loss of dignity. Like I said he is very determined and fast so we watch him very carefully.
Can't wait for his enclosure to be finished!20180504_141423.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So we have had Rocky since December and he has been healthy and somewhat content the past 6 months. I took some advice and we have had him wandering inside the house with supervision and as it has gotten warmer brought him outside. We live in New England so it has only been over 60 for a few weeks.
We have purchased a lot for an outdoor enclosure which we are putting together for him to be safely outside but in the interim we have brought him out for about an hour at a,time. He loves it. He is very closely supervised because he moves surprisingly fast.
He has enjoyed munching on the violet and dandelion leaves.
My question is that every time we take him out he Bee lines it toward the road which is in the direction of a large Resevoir. We pick him up bring him back and he immediately turns around and heads in the same direction.
There are native species of turtles including snappers and a red painted turtle was in our neighbors yard the other day.
My son thinks Rocky is trying to get to the water and my husband thinks he senses the other turtles and is looking for love.
Any ideas?
We stick a red Christmas bow on him to spot him easily. He doesn't seem to mind the loss of dignity. Like I said he is very determined and fast so we watch him very carefully.
Can't wait for his enclosure to be finished!View attachment 241045

It is super hard to know what has caught his interest in that direction...but you know that he has a desire to go that way...so be sure to block/secure him so he does not get there....which would likely mean he was lost.....yes, although the red bow is lovely on him.....I would not rely on him keeping it there...and as you said, not let that little bugger out of your sight for even a moment....this species is the Spider Man of tortoise...they can climb vertical as well as shimmy down into the earth without a problem....