Is she dead? I need help asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
metro detroit, mi
My Home's(which i aquired through a pet store) hasnt moved since last night. I left for work this morning thinking she was still sleeping but when i.got home she was in the same spot. I immediately put her in a warm soak. She has yet to move. Shes seemed.normal the past few days but shes always been a shy tort(from what i know. Ive only had her less than a month) She soaked herself in her enclosure yesterday abd was eating. She is a hingeback, so i was wondering if when they pass, do they unhinge? She is closed up tight. Please help.

Idk if im over reacting but im new to the tort world.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It sadly sounds dead, you can put it under a heat source, if it moves then it is alive, if not then it had expired/

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
SHE MOVED! She was in the tub and her head poked out a bit. What would make her be so lethargic?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would try to pull on her legs. If she's alive, there should be some reaction. I would think that any living thing that dies would have muscle atrophy and would not clam up tight. My guess is that she's alive but something has spooked her. Please keep us posted on her condition.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That's great news!! Can you post your temps and pic of your enclosure? What lighting/UVB are you using? I'm sure someone with experience will come along and help you.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
warm side is 80f cool is 75f humidity is 75% night temps drop to 70f

and a powersun in a dome light fixture. they have plants to hide in and an actually hide tunnel. A big water dish to drink and soak in.

enclosure.is 4 1/2 ft x 2 1/2 ft. Wooden sides, plexiglass top with plenty of air flow

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Wild turtles that I rescued from a condemned pet store acted like this. While some adjusted fast, others weren't so sure. Keep providing foods that spark interest and make a hide that's appealing and easy to get in and out of. They also sense vibration well- is there anything near the turtle table or pen that's crating a vibration? Are his or her eyes puffy at all? Sounds like you are making progress with a shy turtle. I always see a vet to be sure things are ok too-- take a poop sample as well.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
She is currently chowing on some mushrooms. Maybe because of the rapid temperature drop michigan has gotten in the past few days? My house is significantly cooler than it was, maybe she was going.into hibernation?

Her eyes are fine, she did have a case of worms and because she is so shy its been hard to give her the worming meds. But! because she was chowing so good i was just able to give her the medicine! So thats a plus. She has always been shy from what i was told.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
IggyBeans said:
Laura said:
she needs warmth and I dont think they like bright lights.. more dim...

Where can i find a dim uvb light sorce?

Any of the flourescent strip lights are going to be pretty dim... I honestly don't hardly notice mine is on when the basking lamp is on right next to it.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
yes and it is quite bright. i shut it iff at night. To be honest, it was quite expensive so id like to keep using it but if its bad for them i guess.id have no choice.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
IggyBeans said:
She is currently chowing on some mushrooms. Maybe because of the rapid temperature drop michigan has gotten in the past few days? My house is significantly cooler than it was, maybe she was going.into hibernation?

Her eyes are fine, she did have a case of worms and because she is so shy its been hard to give her the worming meds. But! because she was chowing so good i was just able to give her the medicine! So thats a plus. She has always been shy from what i was told.

Stick with the worm meds-- recommended from your vet??

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'd suggest you stop using the powersun and use a CHE for heat. Homes do not like bright light and I feel they don't need UVB as they are crepascular (active at dawn and dusk).

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
IggyBeans said:
yes and it is quite bright. i shut it iff at night. To be honest, it was quite expensive so id like to keep using it but if its bad for them i guess.id have no choice.

I believe ZooMed offers a year's moneyback guarantee. Depending on where you bought it from, you can also get store credit. I know Petco usually gives store credit no matter how long it was that you bought it, just as long as it's been within the manufacturer's guarantee (and if they give you grief about this, tell them to look at their return policy on the back of the receipts...). I'm not sure about PetSmart but I think it's the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.