Is she dead?

25sholmes

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
My sulcata tortoise's head is in, her legs are in her shell and she has been like that since yesterday no movement or reaction to anything. I pulled on her legs and they don move or react to anything. I soaked her in a warm bath and nothing as well. Her eyes are closed. She has been in a warm place. Does anyone know if she is dead or anything?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pics of her.
But from what you have said, it's a good bet she is dead
If you have more or plan on getting another, please describe the care, housing, and lighting/heat and hydration/humidity you used on this one and we can help you get everything right for the next.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Difficult to diagnose but please really check as they have been known to appear dead but are not dead. Best to get a vet to assess if I doubt.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Be safe. Be sure. Wait at least 48 hours before you dispose of or bury your tort. (Unless you see flies, maggots, a foul smell or some other indisputable sign of death)
I personally had a very "dead" tortoise regain consciousness after 48 hours and eventually rally through after several months and is happy and healthy today.
That particular tortoise was totally limp and didn't even respond to my touching her eye balls.

25sholmes

Kansas
Post pics of her.
But from what you have said, it's a good bet she is dead
If you have more or plan on getting another, please describe the care, housing, and lighting/heat and hydration/humidity you used on this one and we can help you get everything right for the next.

Attachments

• IMG_5393.JPG
    IMG_5393.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5390.JPG
    IMG_5390.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Boy I can't really say with these pics.
Until you are 100% sure, I would keep trying.
Tell us how you have been caring for him.
Temps, day, night, basking?
Type of light and heat used
Substrate
Diet
Size of enclosure, inside and out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcata tortoise's head is in, her legs are in her shell and she has been like that since yesterday no movement or reaction to anything. I pulled on her legs and they don move or react to anything. I soaked her in a warm bath and nothing as well. Her eyes are closed. She has been in a warm place. Does anyone know if she is dead or anything?
They don't die for no reason. Did it get too cold? What symptoms have you seen? How is the tortoise housed?