Is she growing right ??

amanda23

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Ive had her around 7 months at this point.. I'd just like input on how people think her shell looks so far.. (It looks a lot better since I got her)

She came from a pet shop where she was kept on sand.. With low humidity & low 80's was what her temps were. She was fed fruits and veggies mostly.. From what I saw.

Once I got her home I slowly started to pick her heat and humidity up over the next few days to make sure I didnt shock her. I also began feeding her grass that i grew, i ordered it specially for sulcatas.. As well as other greens that i made sure were tortoise safe. After that she began to seem much for active and started to grow :)

I guess I'm mostly worried about her growth being stunted because of the way she was kept before... If thats even possible ??? At the pet shop they said she was about a year old.. And Ive now had her 7 months... So I'd like some input from anyone who has a tort around this age.. I'd really like to compare her to another one around her age.

I keep her in the following conditions:
160 w power sun bulb, and a 150 w red bulb for night. Her basking spot is about 105-110.. Her cold side is about 82-85, her middle area ranges in the 90's. Shes in a 4 x 2 box I built, I keep the top blocked with glass aquarium tops so her humidity is usually around 80% .

You can see her size in the last picture compared to my hand.. And shes hiding in the photos cause I woke her up to take her picture ahws actually very friendly :)

Attachments

• 1386455490569.jpg
    1386455490569.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 99
  • 1386455503733.jpg
    1386455503733.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 97
  • 1386455513067.jpg
    1386455513067.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1386455524256.jpg
    1386455524256.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 95
  • 1386455531761.jpg
    1386455531761.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 104

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It sounds like you have a proper enclosure and that you recognized the problem early. So I would imagine if you continue doing what you've been doing then she would continue to improve .

She is small for her age but I wouldn't get hung up on that. If she is eating, pooping, soaking, and kept warm things should continue to improve .

Best of luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There looks to be some very slight starting of pyramiding. Keep humidity upto 80% and you'll never know he had any. I can't help you with size and age. They all grow at their own pace, so it's really hard to guess. Proper diet and humidity, temps, exercise and he should do fine. I have read where some others seemed small. Then all of a sudden, out on some good growth spurts.

amanda23

5 Year Member
Canada
Re: RE: Is she growing right ??

wellington said:
There looks to be some very slight starting of pyramiding. Keep humidity upto 80% and you'll never know he had any. I can't help you with size and age. They all grow at their own pace, so it's really hard to guess. Proper diet and humidity, temps, exercise and he should do fine. I have read where some others seemed small. Then all of a sudden, out on some good growth spurts.

Yea the tortoise that was housed with mine at the pet store went to one of my friends and his grew so big. He is about 2 times the size of mine I guess I thought there was something wrong with mine..

These are the last times I weighed her and remembered to write it down. I usually do it once a month but I lost this book until today.

Attachments

• 1386461652845.jpg
    1386461652845.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 69

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My two sullies were started out like yours, hot and dry on rabbit food pellets, only fed iceberg salad mix [THUMBS DOWN SIGN]

But mine were hatched in April of this year, both from the same clutch. I've always given everything to them equally, same food, same lighting, same amount of soaks, etc., and one out of no where had a growth spurt and is noticeably bigger than the other. They just grow at different rates, even clutch-mates.

But keep up your temps and humidity, and keep varying your baby's diet. But as long as he is eating like a pig, sleeping like a rock, and pooping like a champ, I'd say you've got yourself a good lookin healthy baby dinosaur [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

amanda23 said:
wellington said:

Yea the tortoise that was housed with mine at the pet store went to one of my friends and his grew so big. He is about 2 times the size of mine I guess I thought there was something wrong with mine..

These are the last times I weighed her and remembered to write it down. I usually do it once a month but I lost this book until today.

I believe the saying is slow and steady wins the race [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

amanda23

5 Year Member
Canada
Re: RE: Is she growing right ??

Barista5261 said:
My two sullies were started out like yours, hot and dry on rabbit food pellets, only fed iceberg salad mix [THUMBS DOWN SIGN]

But mine were hatched in April of this year, both from the same clutch. I've always given everything to them equally, same food, same lighting, same amount of soaks, etc., and one out of no where had a growth spurt and is noticeably bigger than the other. They just grow at different rates, even clutch-mates.

But keep up your temps and humidity, and keep varying your baby's diet. But as long as he is eating like a pig, sleeping like a rock, and pooping like a champ, I'd say you've got yourself a good lookin healthy baby dinosaur [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

amanda23 said:
wellington said:

I believe the saying is slow and steady wins the race [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Awesome thank you so much!

amanda23

5 Year Member
Canada
I weighed her last night .. Which would have been Dec. 7th 2013, she was 142.7 g's