Is she to small?

Juliana

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey all :) I have recently taken in a leopard tortoise rescue. She was unfortunately kept in unfavourable conditions, and I’m concerned this may have caused stunted growth. The original owners got her in 2016, making her about 5 years old to date. Her shell is about 9cm long, is this too small for age? What is considered a normal size?

Attachments

• 8713C4D4-D157-43AD-8E5E-18013AA9349A.jpeg
    8713C4D4-D157-43AD-8E5E-18013AA9349A.jpeg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 24

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I don’t keep Leopards, but do have a Sulcata that we started from a cute little hatchling. Id say your Leopard is pretty small as a 5 year old tortoise, but thats all water under the bridge. Now that it is in your care, you can provide all of the very best in housing, lighting, food, soaking, etc.

Hopefully you have found @Tom ’s care sheet.

➡️➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all :) I have recently taken in a leopard tortoise rescue. She was unfortunately kept in unfavourable conditions, and I’m concerned this may have caused stunted growth. The original owners got her in 2016, making her about 5 years old to date. Her shell is about 9cm long, is this too small for age? What is considered a normal size?
Definitely not normal. Follow the care sheet and things should improve. Questions are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes too small. If you house, feed and hydrate correctly, she/he should grow and catch up to a proper size.
I rescued one that was in yours situation. Was same age as my other but more the size of a 1 year old. Mine couldn't walk though only scoot. Proper care and some hydrotherapy and in no time he caught up to my other one, and walks faster then any tortoise I have or had.

csheikh

Lahore
That's too small. My tortoise is 1 and is 3 inches. Keep the humidity at 60% in the day and 70-80% at night, that is what helps tortoises grow. Feed her grass, weeds, collard greens and Mazuri Tortoise diet. Even though l can't find the diet where l live, l hope you can find it because l heard it helps with the tortoises growth a lot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's too small. My tortoise is 1 and is 3 inches. Keep the humidity at 60% in the day and 70-80% at night, that is what helps tortoises grow. Feed her grass, weeds, collard greens and Mazuri Tortoise diet. Even though l can't find the diet where l live, l hope you can find it because l heard it helps with the tortoises growth a lot.
Actually humidity should be 80% day and night. The humidity helps them grow smooth. Proper diet, heat, uvb exercise along with humidity helps them grow.

Reactions: Tom