Is Shrimp looking male or female?

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Shrimp is about 3 and a half years old now and right at 12 inches long. Is it just me, or is he looking kind of like a she?

Attachments

• 20171217_172036.jpg
    20171217_172036.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 56

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Sure looks female to me, but I'm still fairly inexperienced on sexing torts.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It is looking like it might go female. HOWEVER - you just cannot tell at this size yet for sure. I have been trying to call sex on sulcatas and keeping records for quite some time, and its amazing how much they can still change until they are about 16". Once that size - I know it is female.

As an example - here is one I though for sure was female when "she" was 11". (Looks a lot like this one above.) Until about 8 months later when "she" flashed me!! Sure looked like female anals developing. Stubby tail. Small gular still. No concavity!!

IMG_5347.JPG

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I know nothing is for sure yet. And Shrimp is our one and only tortoise, so it doesn't even matter in the big scheme of things. It is just fun to speculate. The owners of Shrimps mom thought it would be fun to breed her once, just to experience babies... "one time". I don't compelty know how they managed the first clutch- I think they incubated. But then they continued to have babies popping up in the backyard for the next year, and Shrimp was one of those. We have guestimated an August 19th, 2014 hatch date. They gave Shrimp to my Aunt who then gave it to us because while she does have several tortoises, she wasn't ready to start over with a brand new baby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Definitely male or female. I'm 100% sure of it.