Is "spring mix" bad for torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a question about a good diet for a Western Herman's juvenile. I recently ordered a small batch of reptigreens salad. I can see that it is mostly weeds and flowers. I chopped some up fine and my Zoe sniffed and picked through it until she found what she liked. She never touched a flower and left most of what I put out. When I used up her favorite leaves she hardly ate anything else. Yesterday I bought a supermarket spring mix with a good variety of different small leaves and she spent 15 minutes in the food dish. Obviously she loves the spring mix over the weeds from reptigreens. My question is: Is spring mix(sprinkled with repcal and vitamins) and Mazuri on alternate days a good diet? The reptigreens seem to be a waste. She is my only tort and even 1/4 pound spoils before I can use it.

Paula

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Paula,
Spring mix is just fine to feed her. :D I don't though like mazuri for Testudos and especially Hermanns. They are one of the hardest tortoises to grow up smooth and domed, so you have to watch everything they eat.

Danny

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Danny, Maybe I'll just leave the Mazuri out.

Paula

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'd stick the spring mix for now. With warmer weather coming, you can introduce the weeds over the summer when the price is nil.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
spring mix is a bag of mixed greens you can buy from grocery store produce section. It usually have romaines, oaks, radicchio, chard, arugula, frisee,...and so on.

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.