Is that intestinal worms ?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
It doesn't look like anything unusual for parasitic worm. I'd guess: some kind of round worm just not sure if roundworms are "hard to touch" as you describe it, Mina.

Mina Adel

It doesn't look like anything unusual for parasitic worm. I'd guess: some kind of round worm just not sure if roundworms are "hard to touch" as you describe it, Mina.
I gave them the drug
But the worms increase and all the worms are alive .
Is that normal to be alive in the torts dropings ? Especially After taking the portion.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I gave them the drug
But the worms increase and all the worms are alive .
Is that normal to be alive in the torts dropings ? Especially After taking the portion.
I think most of those meds take at least 24-48 hrs to work, sometimes 3-4 days. That I know about worms in humans. Don't really know about reptiles but many of our experienced keepers do, and someone will come along to help with that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How long did you leave between doses

It may also be that either the worm is resistant to the medication you used, or that you didn't get a high enough dose in all the torts

Mina Adel

How long did you leave between doses

It may also be that either the worm is resistant to the medication you used, or that you didn't get a high enough dose in all the torts
evey 3 days
I think that is low dose.
But I am afraid to give these little creatures overdose.
In humans the dose 2 tablets 200mg once evey day for 3 consequent days. Repeated after a week or 10 days or 2 weeks.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
So that dose is enough to kill all the worms.
Im sorry, i dont have any knowledge on what the correct dosage would be. Though if you deworm them, i would assume they would poop more worms to get them out of their body. Im mot sure how else they would get out. But i dont know, i may be wrong.
When my tortoise had bad worms, he pooped out alot after his first dose. And his medication was given once a week for 3 weeks

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I am surprised they would be passing live worms after treatment. It could be a dosage issue or that you picked a medication that is not effective for the type of parasite that you have.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mina, how did you decide how much to give?

If you just guessed then the dose is probably wrong. I cannot help you with dosage.

If the worming medication is for humans then it is only guaranteed to be effective against the type(s) of worms that humans get.

You need to do some research via Google to see if the medication you are using has any chance of working on tortoises and at what dose level and frequency.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have done some Googling myself.

I found a post in this thread about Mebendazole http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/mebendazole-doses-for-tortoises.22944/
You would need to crush the pill into a powder and make a suspended solution.
Since the concentration of the drug is 500 mg you will need to dilute it in the suspension to 50mg per ml.
Treat 50 mg per kg of weight or 1 cc per KG or 0.1cc per 100 gr.
You would need to mix 10 ML of liquid to your pill to make this solution.
Treat once a day for 3-5 days and repeat in 2 weeks.
This is a rather safe drug to use.
Its been a while since I did all the conversions you might need to get some help with this it can be rather complex if your not getting premixed meds.

You do need to know the concentration of the drug you are giving.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If that's true, the dose of 100mg mebendazole was very high, especially for the smaller males! :eek:
I have seen other posts on a Spanish forum since I posted that saying 20-25mg per 100g of tortoise weight, so it really does depend on the concentration of the drug that is bought.