Is that intestinal worms ?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Well, that IS the concentration. The first one says 50mg/kg, the second one 200-250mg/kg,.. That's quite a difference. :confused:

This link looks like reliable information to me: http://www.vetpharm.uzh.ch/reloader.htm?wir/00003143/1397_05.htm?wir/00003143/1397_00.htm

- 10 mg/kg for 5 days (Van Miert 1994a)
- 25 mg/kg, repeat after 10 days (Claussen 1981)

Strongyliden, Askariden
- 20 - 100 mg/kg, repeat after 14 days (Funk 2006; Diethelm 2001)

Nematoden
- 20 - 25 mg/kg once per day for 2-4 days (Wilson 1996a)
- 20 - 25 mg/kg once, repeat after 2 weeks (Wilson 1996a)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, that IS the concentration. The first one says 50mg/kg, the second one 200-250mg/kg,.. That's quite a difference. :confused:

This link looks like reliable information to me: http://www.vetpharm.uzh.ch/reloader.htm?wir/00003143/1397_05.htm?wir/00003143/1397_00.htm

- 10 mg/kg for 5 days (Van Miert 1994a)
- 25 mg/kg, repeat after 10 days (Claussen 1981)

Strongyliden, Askariden
- 20 - 100 mg/kg, repeat after 14 days (Funk 2006; Diethelm 2001)

Nematoden
- 20 - 25 mg/kg once per day for 2-4 days (Wilson 1996a)
- 20 - 25 mg/kg once, repeat after 2 weeks (Wilson 1996a)
You have a headstart in being able to read German. Thank you :)

Mina Adel

I gave each of them 100mg regardless their weight
And have repeated it after 3 days
yet the worms didn't die

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
yet the worms didn't die

You were using pills, right? Do you know if the pills weigh 100mg (Mebendazole plus filler) or if they have 100mg of Mebendazole in them?

You shouldn't be giving all of the tortoises the same dose - you need to weigh them and dose appropriately for their size.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So you need to know the exact weight of each tortoise
Calculate the correct dose for each tortoise as described in WithLisa's post
Crush the tablets and create a suspension in water as described earlier in the post I quoted
And give the correct dose to each tort at the frequency described in WithLisa's post

You're going to need a spreadsheet or book to record all this

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
yet the worms didn't die
When was that?
Maybe you could try to repeat it once after 14 days with a high dosage (like recommended by Funk/Diethelm).

But I've absolutely no experience with deworming of tortoises, so I guess I'm of little help here.... :(

Mina Adel

Torts are not active like before ... can parasites be the cause ? Or the drug itself ?
I will wait until all my torts are dewormed then I will see their activity. I hope they become active again soon.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Torts are not active like before ... can parasites be the cause ? Or the drug itself ?
I will wait until all my torts are dewormed then I will see their activity. I hope they become active again soon.
That's not a good sign. Considering the fact that they have just been administered poison... I'm sorry Mina. This is exactly why I had earlier suggested that you rehome all those animals. Trying to give an advise like that is like shooting while being blindfolded. There's is too much of a guessing game. In the end we all want this same thing- what serves the best interest of those animals- am I right? I'd say, do not give any more deworming meds at least until they eat/drink/pee/poo/behave back to normal

Last edited:

Mina Adel

That's not a good sign. Considering the fact that they have just been administered poison... I'm sorry Mina. This is exactly why I had earlier suggested that you rehome all those animals. Trying to give an advise like that is like shooting while being blindfolded. There's is too much of a guessing game. In the end we all want this same thing- what serves the best interest of those animals- am I right? I'd say, do not give any more deworming meds at least until they eat/drink/pee/poo/behave back to normal
They eat, drink, poo and pee
They are just not as active as before

Rue

Canada
Isn't there a vet or two who frequents this forum? Could we ask them for dosages?