Is the Baby tortoise dead???

Rosebud3

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi Everyone,
I was gardening in my yard and watched a baby gopher tortoise walk across my driveway and dig a burrow in my front yard. I was thrilled to see this as I am aware that they are protected. I did not bother it.
This was five days ago. I’ve been so excited that I’ve gone outside at least once per day since it moved in to spy on it. The burrow is deep enough that I use a flashlight to peer in. As far as I can tell, the baby has not moved an inch since it burrowed. Did it dig the burrow to die in it?

I’ve been reading up on these tortoises in the past five days, and from what I’ve read, this is NOT normal behavior considering that I live in south Florida and it’s the middle of summer. We have been getting heavy rains every day for the past five days. Just yesterday saw 2.5 inches of rainfall. Is it possible that the tortoise drowned? Wouldn’t it have left the burrow in heavy rains?

i wish there was something that I could do to help ensure that it reaches adulthood. Thanks for any help.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I may be wrong about this but I would check it. Try to not destroy the burrow and gently check to see if it’s ok by picking it up. It’s not like your taking him or anything and there are plenty of people who herp and we touch wild reptiles-amphibians and then put them back. I go out herping all the time. There is nothing wrong with checking on it in my opinion.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Hi Everyone,
I was gardening in my yard and watched a baby gopher tortoise walk across my driveway and dig a burrow in my front yard. I was thrilled to see this as I am aware that they are protected. I did not bother it.
This was five days ago. I’ve been so excited that I’ve gone outside at least once per day since it moved in to spy on it. The burrow is deep enough that I use a flashlight to peer in. As far as I can tell, the baby has not moved an inch since it burrowed. Did it dig the burrow to die in it?

I’ve been reading up on these tortoises in the past five days, and from what I’ve read, this is NOT normal behavior considering that I live in south Florida and it’s the middle of summer. We have been getting heavy rains every day for the past five days. Just yesterday saw 2.5 inches of rainfall. Is it possible that the tortoise drowned? Wouldn’t it have left the burrow in heavy rains?

i wish there was something that I could do to help ensure that it reaches adulthood. Thanks for any help.
I don't think it's dead. Gopher tortoises spend LOTS of time in their burrows, and considering it is a baby, it probably hides even more.

Rosebud3

Florida
Thanks for your responses. If I were to check on it, I would have to dig it out with a spoon. That seems so invasive to me. Is it OK if I do that? If I did that, would it spook the tortoise into leaving the burrow, if it’s still alive? You can see in the photo that it’s really buried in the burrow.

Attachments

• 268CF6DB-4CF4-42F7-9C62-E26404DE7A10.jpeg
    268CF6DB-4CF4-42F7-9C62-E26404DE7A10.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 949E6584-D674-4D88-A296-9403E2058B14.jpeg
    949E6584-D674-4D88-A296-9403E2058B14.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • EF958175-66C7-4B30-AC85-CDBE5919BB83.jpeg
    EF958175-66C7-4B30-AC85-CDBE5919BB83.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's a wild animal - born with all of the instincts and abilities it needs to survive.

It should be left in peace. Creating a disturbance will be very stressful, and stress is harmful to all bodily systems.

You are very kind to care, but the best thing to do is to let it squat on your property, and to be mindful as you walk and do lawn maintenance.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Yes that sounds better. Thanks. I really did not want to disturb it.
No I wouldn’t disturb the burrow in order to check on it. Digging in the burrow could cause it to look for another place to call home and would stress him. I’m surprised there’s no other way. Sorry

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Surprise him with some freshly transplanted weeds a little ways away from the burrow.

Rosebud3

Florida
It is alive and well! I finally saw it walking around right before Elsa passed by =)?. Maybe the shift in barometric pressure inspired it to get some greens.

Since the hurricane it has not been back. It was an honor and thrill just to see it in my yard! Now I can see why all of you love your babies the way that you do. I never even held the little guy and I was surprisingly attached to it. I only wish I could know it grows up to a healthy, happy adulthood. But alas, such is the nature of life.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So glad for the happy ending to this chapter and maybe to a beginning of lots more chapters in the little guy's life! We sure could do with a lot more human beings like you on this earth.