Is the food must be available all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k@T

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a 4 month old Indian Star, My question is : Is the food should be available for my Star all the time or not?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
k@T said:
Hi, I have a 4 month old Indian Star, My question is : Is the food should be available for my Star all the time or not?

It doesn't have to be. Most of us feed first thing and then maybe top up later in the day.

If Joe is inside, I like to leave an edible plant or a tray of living lettuce in the enclosure for him to browse on if he feels like it. Outside he eats the garden when he wants :)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
My little hatchlings eat in the morning and then go back for snacks during the day and evening. I believe that this is a good thing. C

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put a big pile of food down for my babies in the a.m. (more than they can eat in one sitting) and leave it there all day long. By the end of the day its looking pretty dried out, but they still come out occasionally and take a few bites. By the end of the day its usually pretty much eaten up.

k@T

5 Year Member
Thank you guys for the help. I do as what emysemys said, but some times when I saw that the food is dried out, I put some fresh food again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
k@T said:
Thank you guys for the help. I do as what emysemys said, but some times when I saw that the food is dried out, I put some fresh food again.

I think we humans are more put off by limp lettuce than our tortoises :D

dhru1999

5 Year Member
England
NEVER give a tortoise lettuce, I always keep a dandelion lion leaf in water during the day so she can nibble on it whenever she want ;)

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
dhru1999 said:
NEVER give a tortoise lettuce, I always keep a dandelion lion leaf in water during the day so she can nibble on it whenever she want ;)

Never give a tortoise lettuce? :-/

dhru1999

5 Year Member
England
KimandKarasi said:
Never give a tortoise lettuce? :-/

Never because it has no nutritional value. Stars need loads of calcium.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is nutritional value to lettuce, but it is not as good as other broadleaf weeds some are worse than others. They tend to be low in fibre and high in water, so given in excess cause diahrea.

As part of a varied diet, some lettuce is fine.

Avoid standard lettuce and iceberg. Romaine type lettuces and those with reddish colour to the leaves can be fed in moderation.

Look up the lettuce/salad/other greens you can buy on The Tortoise Table link I gave earlier to see what you can get that may be fed. The secret to a healthy diet is variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.