Is the "Herbal Tortoise Hay" from tortoise supply good for Hermanns?

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I feed my E. Hermanns a good pinch of herbal hay mixed with soaked mazuri twice weekly. In general, I don’t think the experts recommend feeding anything every single day. The herbal hay has a good long shelf life. My tortoise is a yearling so she doesn’t go through it very quickly. Tortoise supply told me I could expect it to be good for a year or more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If so should it be fed every day (varied periodically with different fresh greens and mazuri)?
Yes, it is a great way to add variety to grocery store greens. I would not feed it every day, but 2 or 3 times a week would be great. On other days, you can soak some horse hay pellets and mix those in for more fiber. Also, go to kapidolofarms.com and order up several of their dried leaf varieties. Mallow, plantain, dandelion, moringa, echinacea, ginkgo, and many more. These are similar to the herbal hay. You just crumble some on top of the greens and mix it in.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
Yes, it is a great way to add variety to grocery store greens. I would not feed it every day, but 2 or 3 times a week would be great. On other days, you can soak some horse hay pellets and mix those in for more fiber. Also, go to kapidolofarms.com and order up several of their dried leaf varieties. Mallow, plantain, dandelion, moringa, echinacea, ginkgo, and many more. These are similar to the herbal hay. You just crumble some on top of the greens and mix it in.
So theoretically I can get 7 different kinds of dried leaves/weeds and each day of the week just sprinkle a different dried leaf on a couple different greens like spring mix, endive, escarole, dandelion, romaine etc? Of course choosing a few days a week to do mazuri.

Reactions: Tom

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I've been buying the stuff for years. EXCELLENT product, smells amazing too. I take it, put it in a blender until its almost a powder and then add it to my greens. It sticks better and the tortoises are forced to eat it, and not around it. I have fed it to Western Hermanns, Egyptians, indian stars, spengleri, Pyxis planicauda, Pyxis arachanoides, T.G nabeulensis without fail.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So theoretically I can get 7 different kinds of dried leaves/weeds and each day of the week just sprinkle a different dried leaf on a couple different greens like spring mix, endive, escarole, dandelion, romaine etc? Of course choosing a few days a week to do mazuri.
Yes.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
And just repeat that cycle every week and he’s good? Haha sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Theoretically I can have him eat the same thing every ‘Monday’, then the same thing every ‘Tuesday (different than Monday)’ for the rest of his life and so on and so forth with the other days?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And just repeat that cycle every week and he’s good? Haha sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Theoretically I can have him eat the same thing every ‘Monday’, then the same thing every ‘Tuesday (different than Monday)’ for the rest of his life and so on and so forth with the other days?
In practice it will never work that way. So many items are seasonal like mulberry leaves, grape leaves and opuntia pads.

Ideally, you will be offering as much variety as you can.