Is the zoo treating the Egyptians improperly?

Annabelle

5 Year Member
Hi,
I first fell in love with the Egyptian tortoise at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, IL a few years ago. I was back visiting this weekend and now they have two Egyptians and had crickets in the tiny enclosure. I have done quite a bit of research on this amazing species and was quite surprised to see the protein (crickets) in their enclosure. There was also hay which one guy was chomping on (yay), but the entire enclosure is super tiny and there is no hide. I am worried about the crickets, no hide and tiny space....

Does anyone know the reptile keepers at the Brookfield Zoo? Hoping they are taking better care of them than I saw this weekend. I think there is another zoo keeper on this forum. Thoughts? Should I contact the zoo? I figured you all would have valued input.

A fellow animal lover,
Ann

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I went there last year too. I found the conditions lacking. In addition to how bad it looked, the tortoises appeared to be barely alive. The pyramiding was substantial. I was disappointed with a lot of the reptiles. The Galops were in a tiny enclosure and also pyramiding.

I would do things differently if I worked there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not been there for many years. If I were you, write them a letter or go there and talk to the tortoise keepers. Let them know about TORTOISEFORUM.ORG and have in hand a good care sheet. I would also be prepared to have care sheets for all the torts they have. Let me know who you speak too and I will back you up with a letter also. Even though I haven't been there, it doesn't surprise me that a zoo is doing it wrong, most are.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I've encountered this problem at many institutions, unfortunately. Here in San Antonio, for instance, I've seen two places, the San Antonio Zoo and the Wittie Museum, that both maintain Texas tortoises in lousy conditions. The two tortoises at the Wittie are kept indoors in a tank measuring three by three feet. Every time I've gone there, they barely look alive. Both have overgrown toenails from suffering the effects of no space over years. I've sent numerous letters with attached caresheets to the Wittie, and all they do is send me a preprogrammed response with instructions on making a donation. San Antonio Zoo keeps their one juvenile Texas tortoise in a dry "Southwest" set up with a handful of chuckwalas and desert iguanas, which is idiotic given that these animals aren't even sympatric. The little guy is suffering from terrible pyramiding as a result of the inadequate hydration and nonexistent humid hide. What makes me so damned mad about this is not their lackluster response to my messages, but it's the fact that they could keep these dudes outdoors. We are in south Texas, after all. You know, their native environment. THey have a bunch of red eared sliders swimming in the canal that runs through the place. They keep their radiateds outside, and those two look awesome. Why can't the Texas tortoise chill in his own little place out in the kid's area. Both places have outdoor facilities that would be perfect. If they're worried about them getting stolen at night, they can just bring them in. Ridiculous is what this is.

T.G.