Is there a best time of the day for outside?

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
So the best guess I have for age of my tortes is 6 months old. One sulcata 128g 3 inches long, one leopard 109g 3 inches long.

I have read about 1 hour per inch of outside time. Temps here are starting to climb, 85F here today 35% humidity. Is there a better time of day to be outside? Such as morning vs afternoon when it can get even hotter?

I know not to let them be together, but the ground they are on can I switch it up. Like one day Optimus has the right side then maybe the next day it is Bumblebees turn to have the right? I think I know the answer to this but I want to double check.

Pretty much just want to double check on time of day. When it is really hot I'll probably stick to mornings but will UV rays be enough then?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
So the best guess I have for age of my tortes is 6 months old. One sulcata 128g 3 inches long, one leopard 109g 3 inches long.

I have read about 1 hour per inch of outside time. Temps here are starting to climb, 85F here today 35% humidity. Is there a better time of day to be outside? Such as morning vs afternoon when it can get even hotter?

I know not to let them be together, but the ground they are on can I switch it up. Like one day Optimus has the right side then maybe the next day it is Bumblebees turn to have the right? I think I know the answer to this but I want to double check.

Pretty much just want to double check on time of day. When it is really hot I'll probably stick to mornings but will UV rays be enough then?
I would say between 12-4 is the best time to get optimal uvb ( just provide plenty of shade also) most likely at that size hes gonna hide the majority of the time. I also soak mine outside with the container half in sun half shade

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I would not recommend switching sides. Part of the reason to keep different species separated is to reduce disease potential. If they are pooping and peeing and walking in the same areas on different days, they are still exposed to each others potential pathogens.

The best time to put them outside depends on why you are putting them outside and what the temps and conditions are like. There is no UV in the morning or evening sun, so if UV is the main goal, mid day has the strongest UV. If the goal is grazing and exercise, then go with the current temperature as your guide. During hotter weather get them out earlier and bring them in during the mid day/afternoon heat. In cooler weather, wait until it warms up mid day, and then put them out.

P.S. I think that it is great that you have both indoor AND outdoor enclosures! :)

Megatron's Mom

I would not recommend switching sides. Part of the reason to keep different species separated is to reduce disease potential. If they are pooping and peeing and walking in the same areas on different days, they are still exposed to each others potential pathogens.

The best time to put them outside depends on why you are putting them outside and what the temps and conditions are like. There is no UV in the morning or evening sun, so if UV is the main goal, mid day has the strongest UV. If the goal is grazing and exercise, then go with the current temperature as your guide. During hotter weather get them out earlier and bring them in during the mid day/afternoon heat. In cooler weather, wait until it warms up mid day, and then put them out.

P.S. I think that it is great that you have both indoor AND outdoor enclosures! :)
Thanks, I figured it was best to not share the ground space. Just needed to be sure.

I would like a little a both exercise and uv so maybe late morning and early afternoon. I'll kind of wing it with the temperature. We won't have too long before it is sickening hot and muggy.

Megatron's Mom

I would say between 12-4 is the best time to get optimal uvb ( just provide plenty of shade also) most likely at that size hes gonna hide the majority of the time. I also soak mine outside with the container half in sun half shade
Oh I like the idea of soaking in half sun and shade. We have some decent trees that makes this perfect.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh I like the idea of soaking in half sun and shade. We have some decent trees that makes this perfect.
I do that too. I make sure that as the sun moves the box ends up more in the shade, so that I don't accidentally cook them.

In other words, I have to keep moving the soaking container more and more into the sun, or it will end up in full shade, instead of the other way around.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I do that too. I make sure that as the sun moves the box ends up more in the shade, so that I don't accidentally cook them.

In other words, I have to keep moving the soaking container more and more into the sun, or it will end up in full shade, instead of the other way around.
Right. And while you all are spending hours outside watching and moving the pool to equalize sun and shade, don't forget the spf 50 and the straw 🤠.