Is there a reliable day/night thermostat?

britsip

Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
Hey all,

I'm hoping to get even more help... I'm trying to find a reliable thermostat for my CHE that is programmable with different day and night time temperatures. As I plan on getting a Golden Greek, I need to keep nighttime temps up but lower than daytime. Is there a thermostat that you would recommend for controlling these time and temperature variances?
Side question: Is it alright to use a CHE for the basking spot? I'm hoping to have one CHE for the basking area and nighttime heat.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hey all,

I'm hoping to get even more help... I'm trying to find a reliable thermostat for my CHE that is programmable with different day and night time temperatures. As I plan on getting a Golden Greek, I need to keep nighttime temps up but lower than daytime. Is there a thermostat that you would recommend for controlling these time and temperature variances?
Side question: Is it alright to use a CHE for the basking spot? I'm hoping to have one CHE for the basking area and nighttime heat.

This is what I do and it works great for me. This will work if you have a closed chamber. Might be harder with an open enclosure to maintain. Or a higher electric bill.

1. Put a flood bulb on a timer. I do 12 hours. So from 7am to 7pm. Depending how big your enclosure and how many tortoises are sharing it will determine how many you need. This keeps my ambient Heat between 85-95F depending on the time of year. Basking spot is 95-100f.

2. Flood bulbs don't provide UVB. Make sure you provide it. Mine are out in the sun often enough to not need to provide artificial UVB.

3. I put my CHE's on a thermostat. Set at 70-80F depending on species and if they are adults or hatchlings. The Thermostat only turns on at night because it's warmer than this during the day.

4. I don't recommend CHE's to be used as a basking spot.

britsip

Reno, NV
Thanks for your help!! But why are CHE's not recommended for a basking spot? I'm totally okay with following that advice, but I enjoy understanding the why's. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for your help!! But why are CHE's not recommended for a basking spot? I'm totally okay with following that advice, but I enjoy understanding the why's. :)

An indoor basking area is supposed to simulate the sun. They associate light with warmth.

Some tortoises figure it out and it works, but its best to use a lightbulb for basking.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Not cheap but Helix makes thermostats and controllers with nite drop features.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I use vavarium electronic thermostats they have an additional probe and settings for night drop they sell a cheaper on off model which I use and love, and a more expensive pulse proportional thermostat as well which can keep a constant temperature.

britsip

Reno, NV
Thanks so much for all your help, everybody! I'll check out both brands and see what seems to work. I'll also use a light bulb for the basking spot.