Is there a way I can find out if my tortoise likes music?

Dinokid140

Location (City and/or State)
Beulah CO
My tortoise is a russian tortoise named Albert who I just got recently. My school I heard has a science fair and my idea for it was to find out what type of music Albert likes. I am going to use a small Bluetooth speaker. How would I gage if he likes a certain type or not? I'm going to make sure it's not loud and there won't be any stressful music like heavy metal. I'm planning on trying pop, disco, AC/DC, reggae, classical, and nature sounds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is a russian tortoise named Albert who I just got recently. My school I heard has a science fair and my idea for it was to find out what type of music Albert likes. I am going to use a small Bluetooth speaker. How would I gage if he likes a certain type or not? I'm going to make sure it's not loud and there won't be any stressful music like heavy metal. I'm planning on trying pop, disco, AC/DC, reggae, classical, and nature sounds.
Tortoises can’t hear, experiments with forum member here have proven it.

Also, heavy metal is not stressful. I find it quite enjoyable and relaxing. Soothes the savage beast.

How about sorting out your tortoises visual preferences instead? Try offering different colored objects of the same item, like a plastic ball or something, and see if the tortoise has a preference for one color over another?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Tom said, tortoises don't really hear they same type of sounds that we hear. The truth of the matter is that your tortoise doesn't hear much at all. It can process and respond to frequencies, such as those made during fighting, mating, and the hatching of eggs. And, of course, they are very sensitive to feelings, like thumping on the floor, etc.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
That's an interesting idea - are you planning to expose him to each sort of music one after another? I think,if so, that would be a bit unfair, as he would probably get really fed up with the situation quickly. You would have to give him a turn with each sort of music quite separately.
Our tortoise is a Hermanns, and he is 21 years old - I can tell you that he really hates flute music, and anything really loud and harsh. He listened to a Rolling Stones concert on tv when he was quite small, and seemed to enjoy that - and someone played the harp to him, once , and he really seemed to love it. So he can like very different things.
The trouble is that his reaction (or Albert's) is going to be affected by other things too - where he is- if he is hungry - who is with him, and so on.
How are you going to tell if he likes something?
I Know tortoises don't hear the same way as humans, but they certainly respond to sounds.
Good luck
Angie

Dinokid140

Beulah CO
I have looked all over and this topic seems very controversial. Even if he can't hear, I think I will try my idea anyway. I like heavy metal Tom, but if he can hear, he might be stressed out by it. Zolasmum I will have the songs separated between days and give him breaks from it on school days. Should I measure how he likes it by how often he stays near the speaker or is there a way to tell tortoise emotions?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have looked all over and this topic seems very controversial. Even if he can't hear, I think I will try my idea anyway. I like heavy metal Tom, but if he can hear, he might be stressed out by it. Zolasmum I will have the songs separated between days and give him breaks from it on school days. Should I measure how he likes it by how often he stays near the speaker or is there a way to tell tortoise emotions?
It would be a good idea to separate the listening sessions, as you say. Preferably at the same time of day and in the same place each time. Make notes (or video) each session, so that you can compare them later. And I would try each kind of music more than once, on different days, to see if he shows the same response each time. As for how you can tell how he feels about it, I think you will just have to judge by his movements, by if he just ignores the speaker or goes up close to it, looks at it, maybe ,etc. I have just been watching a very old tv programme this evening and the background music sounded very harsh - Zola was on my lap, and started fidgeting a lot - I had to put him to bed, at which he calmed down at once. Most days he will go to sleep on my lap in the evening quite happily, with the tv on, but he clearly didn't like the music !
It will be interesting to know how you get on
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's an interesting idea - are you planning to expose him to each sort of music one after another? I think,if so, that would be a bit unfair, as he would probably get really fed up with the situation quickly. You would have to give him a turn with each sort of music quite separately.
Our tortoise is a Hermanns, and he is 21 years old - I can tell you that he really hates flute music, and anything really loud and harsh. He listened to a Rolling Stones concert on tv when he was quite small, and seemed to enjoy that - and someone played the harp to him, once , and he really seemed to love it. So he can like very different things.
The trouble is that his reaction (or Albert's) is going to be affected by other things too - where he is- if he is hungry - who is with him, and so on.
How are you going to tell if he likes something?
I Know tortoises don't hear the same way as humans, but they certainly respond to sounds.
Good luck
Angie
Did you read the other posts? Tortoises don't hear.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
turtles and tortoises obviously hear ........ their ears are pretty complex , as complex as ours , they pretty much just lack an outer ear .... the complexity of their ears would make the thought of them serving no purpose highly unlikely ....... as they don't see like us , they don't hear like us , neither does your dog or cat ..... in some ways they hear better than us , they can hear frequencies below those we are capable of .... i believe they also can "hear" with their shells ........ it is also believed different species vary in their range of hearing ...... i read an article one time about gopher tortoises comunicating from one burrow to another , a mile and more apart .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He may react to the vibration from the speaker - possibly by peeing or pooping!:D

Audie

Prestonpans

Also, heavy metal is not stressful. I find it quite enjoyable and relaxing. Soothes the savage beast.

How about sorting out your tortoises visual preferences instead? Try offering different colored objects of the same item, like a plastic ball or something, and see if the tortoise has a preference for one color over another?

My Russian tortoise, named Biden (he arrived last October when his namesake was elected) hears. I have given up looking for his ears, but when we talk to him he turns his head in the direction of our voice and looks as though he is about to answer. He doesn't react to the noise of the vacuum cleaner (unlike our cat who vanishes through the cat flap) so heavy metal probably wouldn't offend Albert. Biden seems to tolerate 'Match of The Day' on the telly more than I can.

Baconbear27

5 Year Member
AZ
Track his behaviors and try a new type everyday. Post your project. Good luck!!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well...I have a deaf brother (seriously) but he can feel the vibrations of sounds through his feet? That's his way of hearing music and other sounds.?