Is there a way to get my turtles to STOPfighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
I have a 55gallon tank that I have some perches in( enough to where the both can in the sun comfortably ) but the one turtle won't leave the other one alone. The bullied turtle doesn't even fight back or try to avoid it though its like he lets him bite his ***. He don't even have a tail any more. Hasn't for a couple years now

They always have enough food, they got what they don't eat when do feed them at the bottom of the tank and no less then 30-40 fish at a time to feed on.

I do have a divider that I put in the still sometimes but it's discusting and unfair to both of them cause it takes away half the tank. Any advise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You must separate them. It won't stop now most likely and the one being bullied will most likely not do as well as he should.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Turtles are not social animals and they do not need to have tank mates. Often, they require much more space than we provide, and in every one of those cases, the animals need to be separated. Wellington mentioned that the turtle being bullied may not do as well as it should, which is true. But keep in mind, that you may come home any time and see a wound on that turtle that could be life threatening. This is one of those snowballing situations that will not get better on it's own.

Good luck.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Aside from the very simple, "separate them", which is very sound advice - would you consider giving a bit more detail.

What species are they, the same?, different? Are they the same size? Is it a male and female?

If you have a snapper and a red-eared slider together then sperate them as soon as you read this.

I have managed multiple turtles together that are notorious for ripping each other up (pig-nosed). Know the basic natural history of the species was important to resolving these kinds of issues.

The less info you provide in a question, the less well people are able to repsond.

Will

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
While all those details are good to know, it really doesn't matter at this point. They must be separated asap. The turtle being bullied is in a stressed situation and it would be cruel to let them be together. I'm sure you can find space to house the other one.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would say that if you are having issues with fighting, the best thing to do is to seperate them. It would be. The safest option....

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Will said:
Aside from the very simple, "separate them", which is very sound advice - would you consider giving a bit more detail.

What species are they, the same?, different? Are they the same size? Is it a male and female?

If you have a snapper and a red-eared slider together then sperate them as soon as you read this.

I have managed multiple turtles together that are notorious for ripping each other up (pig-nosed). Know the basic natural history of the species was important to resolving these kinds of issues.

The less info you provide in a question, the less well people are able to repsond.

Will
They are both painted turtles native to Nebraska. They've been together eve since they were found by this couple that goe to my church 8 years ago. For the first 6-7 years of their lives they were together in much less suitable conditions then they are now. Until I got them they were in the same 20 gallon tank since they were the size of quarters. And the bully only goes after his *** and its not all the time. Never do they go for the neck

Housing the other one else where is no problem it's just that I'd like to find another alternative before setting up a new habitat building a new stand ect.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you have allowed there is horrible. You have basically allowed a turtle to be tortured for years on end to the point where it has been partially eaten alive. That is despicable. It is cruelty and animal abuse. Separate them RIGHT NOW!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You could either separate them or massively increase the size of the shared enclosure (with enough items and site barriers to provide distraction and hiding places to reduce stresses related to interactions). For the latter, a large tank, a large tub, or a pond could prove viable. If space and cost are constraints for you, separation would be of least burden.

How long have they been fighting while in your care? What level/degree of damage to the losing turtle has been sustained?

If the aggressor attacks the hindquarters, I am concerned the weaker animal could suffer tail, cloacal, and reproductive organ damage (especially if male). It can also strip the skin, increasing the chance for infection, or damage the hind legs.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What you have allowed there is horrible. You have basically allowed a turtle to be tortured for years on end to the point where it has been partially eaten alive. That is despicable. It is cruelty and animal abuse. Separate them RIGHT NOW!

Summer down sir, I've only had them a couple of years now. I asked the people I got them from if they ever fought when they were with them and the said no.

And I have increased the size of their space 3x. When I first got them, they came in a small 20 tank with 2inches of dirty water and small pebbles to climb on. When. Got them home I got them sme actual turtle food. They were giving them fish pellets. And a pirch and light. Many months later i came one and saw the carnage and separated emediatly. Then I put them back together in a 40 gallon tank and now they have a 55 gallon tank.

I've actually taken a lot better care of these guys now then what they've ever gotten before so stop talking at me like I'm a ******* monster.

The bullied one like I said doesn't have a tail any more. As far as ik his pooping mechanism still works.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No, Tom is right, and you know it. You may not like what he said, but, on the face of it, he's right. You see this happening, you see the tail is missing, you see one is being bullied, and you wait to see if there's another solution before you separate them. What other solution are you waiting to hear? Almost everyone here has said that you should separate them immediately. No Sir, you are not a monster, but what do you think of a person who stands by watching a very stressed turtle who can't defend itself or do anything to save his ***? I don't understand what your are waiting for...maybe you can explain it to us who read "I've actually taken a lot better care of these guys now then what they've ever gotten before..." Didn't you say that the previous owners said they never fought? Well, either they lied to you, or they are not better off than they were before because before they never fought...now, one is eating the *** of the other! So, please, sir, with all due respect to the better care you've given these creatures, separate them and show all of us that you do really want the best for these turtles.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Once a bully always a bully. Leave the turtle with no tail in the nicer aquarium and keep him alone for now on.
The bully turtle you could make soup and sunglasses out of him. :D
(just kidding)

*Get another aquarium set up or re-home him to a good home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everyone here has concern for the turtles. If there was really another answer for you, we would give it. However, there just isn't any other answer we can honestly give you other then separate them. The previous owners didn't take good care of them, how would they know if they fought or not, they obviously never paid them much attention or they wouldn't have been so poorly taken care of. Now I know you have given them a better home, thats not hard to do according to the way they were kept before. You have done good as far as giving them a better sized tank, food and such. However, what they need is the right home, not just a better home. The right home is that each is in its own tank. Wish we could give you the answer you want, we just can't. Please separate them.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Everyone here has concern for the turtles. If there was really another answer for you, we would give it. However, there just isn't any other answer we can honestly give you other then separate them. The previous owners didn't take good care of them, how would they know if they fought or not, they obviously never paid them much attention or they wouldn't have been so poorly taken care of. Now I know you have given them a better home, thats not hard to do according to the way they were kept before. You have done good as far as giving them a better sized tank, food and such. However, what they need is the right home, not just a better home. The right home is that each is in its own tank. Wish we could give you the answer you want, we just can't. Please separate them.

Your right, and just so ya know everybody, I've had that divider in there tank since the start of this thread I was merely just looking for other alternatives.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
As ironic as it sounds, it would be a good guess that your better husbandry has given the turtles room to behave more 'normally', and turtles do bully each other in the wild. The difference between in the wild and in your tank, are the alternative each individual has to get away.

I have seen turtles nip and bite others on basking spots in the wild. They seem to be trying to get up there themselves. Sometimes they stack too. Hatchlings when first emerging tend to collect in what I would call by default 'good places'. You find one in the wild and you will also find dozens of hatchlings all at once. It only lasts a short time post emergence, as predators sort this out too.

Anyhow, the hatchlings disperse as they tend to bully each other, they have lots of choices.

So you just put them back on track as it were, and so they are not doing something that strange.

There are many tanks of two or three turtles that appear to get along, but there is almost always one who suppresses the others, it may not be as overt as nipping, or biting, it could be as simple as who pushes to get the food first, many simple things at the turtle level of life that count, that we may not notice.

Red eared sliders for example are huge bullies on a global basis, they end to dominate water bodies they get into, by nipping at basking sites, eating the food etc. and overcome the native species, they are indeed an invasive in many many aquatic systems around the world.

So be glad you gave them the room and husbandry that allowed a more natural range of behaviors, but that also means more work for you now with multiple enclosures. A tank divider is not so bad either, it does not have to be an ugly plastic thing. You can use bamboo screen held together with plastic (not metal, it will rust), you can make one from sticks arranged vertically ala a fort apache appearance etc.

Will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moderator note:

I've moved Tom's post and all those that followed it to the "to be deleted" file. While I agree with Tom's post (the OP had the turtles in the same tank for 2 years, knowing one was being abused), and I feel the OP needed to hear what Tom told him, once someone else chimed in saying that Tom was out of line, it called too much attention to the negative aspect of Tom's post.

So, Wherethetortiroam, what Tom said to you, you need to take it to heart. Keep those turtles separated or give one of them away. I didn't remove the post because it was too hard on you. It was spot on.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Damn my bad. I have kept them separated with that divider I said I made. I'll post pics later so you guys dont think im totally neglectful pet owner. and I wish you didn't delete what he said its a free country (for now at least) but ... I don't know I feel bad, I just thought he'd leave his brother alone if I gave them plenty of food and more space. They've been together since they were little quarters and been fine but I don't know what I did to inspire them to fight in my posesion. Now I question what I thought I knew about these guys and with my other pets if I'm doing the right thing or not

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wherethetortiroam said:
Damn my bad. I have kept them separated with that divider I said I made. I'll post pics later so you guys dont think im totally neglectful pet owner. and I wish you didn't delete what he said its a free country (for now at least) but ... I don't know I feel bad, I just thought he'd leave his brother alone if I gave them plenty of food and more space. They've been together since they were little quarters and been fine but I don't know what I did to inspire them to fight in my posesion. Now I question what I thought I knew about these guys and with my other pets if I'm doing the right thing or not

If you feel bad, then we are on the right track. That means you care. There are some people out in the world who don't. Glad you are not one of them. This forum is all about helping people and their turtles and tortoises. If you are concerned about these or any other ones in your care, there are dozens of helpful people here who'd love to go over whatever info would help you. As a group, nothing makes us all happier than healthy, well cared for chelonians. If we can help you in any way with that, it will bring a smile to many faces.

I'd be happy to fill you in on the gist of the other comments in a PM. Its all intended to be constructive in the long run.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your doing fine. Your open for advice and take it well and like someone posted earlier, you gave them a better home and that could be why the fighting started. They are feeling better now and now they want their own space. You know, misery loves company, well now they aren't miserable, so they want their own space. Also, I don't think anyone here thinks you are a bad parent. We are just very passionate about our shelled earthlings. A little misunderstanding as far as we didn't realize you had them already separated:).

Status
Not open for further replies.