Is there any other foods I can add to my tortoise’s diet for variety?

BumpyTheTort

Location (City and/or State)
Kendal
Hey guys! I’m new to the tortoise forum and tortoise-keeping in general. I wanted to ask other people on the forum for feedback on my horse field tortoise’s diet. At the moment I feed him grass, kale, bok choy (in moderation) and collard greens. I feel like I might be missing something or that what I’m feeding him isn’t varied enough??? Please give me feedback on what I should add (or remove) into his diet. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can we see him? Is he Bumpy for real?

BumpyTheTort

Kendal
Can we see him? Is he Bumpy for real?
If what you’re thinking is he’s pyramiding, he isn’t don’t worry! I called him bumpy randomly not because of what he looks like Lol, he’s only about 9ish months old. If you’re just genuinely wondering what he looks like, sorry lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If what you’re thinking is he’s pyramiding, he isn’t don’t worry! I called him bumpy randomly not because of what he looks like Lol, he’s only about 9ish months old. If you’re just genuinely wondering what he looks like, sorry lol
We like pictures 😉 bumpy or not! But no sweat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys! I’m new to the tortoise forum and tortoise-keeping in general. I wanted to ask other people on the forum for feedback on my horse field tortoise’s diet. At the moment I feed him grass, kale, bok choy (in moderation) and collard greens. I feel like I might be missing something or that what I’m feeding him isn’t varied enough??? Please give me feedback on what I should add (or remove) into his diet. Thanks!
Russians are not grass eaters. It won't hurt him to eat grass, but mine passed it through undigested.

Kale and collards are both okay to feed once in a while, but not as staples on a regular basis. Best to avoid grocery store greens in favor of weeds, leaves, and flowers. If you must use grocery store greens for part of each year, favor endive and escarole, but use Italian dandelion, arugula, cilantro and others for variety. You will also need to add fiber, calcium and variety. Its all explained here:

If you are using a mercury vapor bulb, it will cause pyramiding, and your tortoise will begin to match its name.

BumpyTheTort

Kendal
Russians are not grass eaters. It won't hurt him to eat grass, but mine passed it through undigested.

Kale and collards are both okay to feed once in a while, but not as staples on a regular basis. Best to avoid grocery store greens in favor of weeds, leaves, and flowers. If you must use grocery store greens for part of each year, favor endive and escarole, but use Italian dandelion, arugula, cilantro and others for variety. You will also need to add fiber, calcium and variety. Its all explained here:

If you are using a mercury vapor bulb, it will cause pyramiding, and your tortoise will begin to match its name.
Hi, thank you for the reply! I’m not using the bulb you said

Hi!! Thank you, I’m not using the bulb you said. I will try to get some of the things you listed. Thank you so much for the reply ! :)