Is there any ploughshare tortoise to sell in the united states?

ariesxiao

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
Is it legal in USA? Does it have similar requirements like the radiated tortoise? What is the usual price?

I know somebody sells the ploughshare tortoise in China for several hundred thousand Chinese Yuan in black market which is equals to more than 20,000 U.S. dollars. But tortoise is generally protected animal in China and China government forbids all tortoise trade. So they sell illegally.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
There are no legally obtained ploughshare tortoises in private collections in the US. There are 26 ploughshare tortoises in the US at AZA institutions. 2 at Zoo Knoxville, 2 at OKC Zoo, 1 at Honolulu Zoo and 21 at the Behler Center. No other legal specimens exist in the US.

zovick

10 Year Member!
There may be some adults in the country which were legally imported in the mid-1970's. Two pairs were offered to me back then by a high-end dealer from Studio City, CA, but I could not afford to buy them at that time. I have searched for them for over 40 years, but I have never been able to track them down since that time.

Last edited:

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
There may be some adults around which were legally imported in the mid-1970's, but I have never been able to track them down.
And @zovick has been trying to track them down for 40 years (at least) so he would know.

Even if we did find some pre-CITES adults, I think the politics around actually obtaining them would be quite a mountain to climb....though worth the effort!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Don’t even think about it . If you see any “for sale “ posts on internet , it’s either scam or FBI entrapment

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
Is it legal in USA? Does it have similar requirements like the radiated tortoise? What is the usual price?

I know somebody sells the ploughshare tortoise in China for several hundred thousand Chinese Yuan in black market which is equals to more than 20,000 U.S. dollars. But tortoise is generally protected animal in China and China government forbids all tortoise trade. So they sell illegally.
My life would be set if could get my hands on one of these species