Is there any thermostat put in the water to keep the water temperature?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I’d like to use it when I soak the tortoise. Otherwise it is too much work to keep adding hot water to keep the temperature warm and the temperature control is also hard.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How warm are you starting and how much is it cooling? I don't think it's necessary in most cases for soaking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. . . use a small enough bowl with tall sides he can't climb out of and place the soaking bowl with the tortoise in it back inside the enclosure NEXT to where the light shines down on the floor of the enclosure. The light keeps it warm.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. . . use a small enough bowl with tall sides he can't climb out of and place the soaking bowl with the tortoise in it back inside the enclosure NEXT to where the light shines down on the floor of the enclosure. The light keeps it warm.
That’s exactly what I do and as you have said it works great. Also if your closed chamber is keeping 80 on the cool side putting it anywhere In the enclosure works fine

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I use a relatively large container to soak my juvenile Gulf Coast box turtle, since she's in an indoor-only enclosure right now. She doesn't get a chance to swim or paddle around in water deep enough to cover her carapace except when she's soaking. I often have the container on a slant so she has a range of water depth to choose from.

In my case, I use a laser thermometer / temperature gun to take readings of the water and the box turtle's carapace while she soaks.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What Yvonne said

qiangzhu

Washington
I tried it yesterday. I put the bowl under a heated full spectrum light. Instead of stay in the water and sleepy like before, it continue to walk and climb very quickly like crazy. Is the light too bright for it? I am worried that it may hurt it somehow.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I tried it yesterday. I put the bowl under a heated full spectrum light. Instead of stay in the water and sleepy like before, it continue to walk and climb very quickly like crazy. Is the light too bright for it? I am worried that it may hurt it somehow.
Being active in the soaking tub is a good thing I do not put my soaking tub directly under the heat light but off to the side to where it is just part way in the beam of the light. If you’re concerned use the temperature gun To check the temperature of the top shell.