Is there benefit in seeking a temporary female mate for an adult Sulcata?

Moose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have had Moose for almost 5 years and he has always been a pleasant boy to be around but every May I can see a change in his natural behaviors as they become almost "Hyper" for about a weeks period each year - from my research and some common sense I attribute this excitement to a mating season cycle. With this said I ask the question - is there benefit in attempting to find this boy a temporary or maybe long term female mate to accompany him? I am not interested in breeding although I understand this could be a result depending upon my action taken but am more interested in allowing my Sulcata to grow as he would in the wild. I understand that these animals are solitary animals in the wild but I have also seen so many success stories of pairs and groups of Sulcatas through my research including this forum.

Any feedback and opinions would be appreciated. ( By me and MooseImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432260297.730915.jpg!)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got my male a female . But they have their moments of fighting . The key is a large enclosure with sight barriers . Make places for her to hide to get away from him . Make the enclosure where you can separate them . So two heated hide boxes ,two ponds for water and so on . At first Harry was a rapist always trying to mate . Almost Six months and they are like an old married couple . He will walk up to her smell her the go back to eating grass could careless she is around .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my opinion, from my own experience:

If your tortoise is personable and interacts with you, is happy living in his yard and looks to you as the food god, then don't get him a female. Once he has been with a female tortoise he won't be the same tortoise that you know and love. If you take her away, or separate them, he'll spend all of his outside time looking for her and looking for ways to break the fence to get to her. At least this is what happened with my 100lb male sulcata, Dudley, when I gave him a female. It was a big mistake and I'm sorry I did it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. There is absolutely no benefit, but there is a lot of risk.

I strongly recommend against this idea.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I have to second Tom's motion here! Especially looking at that shot of Moose in the top photo...he looks VERY content! And, one thing to remember, sulcatas are not in the least bit social. They occasionally share a burrow...but even this is not without risk! Leave him be...and you'll BOTH be happier in the long run!