Is there something wrong with my Red Foot?

bloodyapa

Location (City and/or State)
Los angeles
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I have about a year with my tortoise and recently I’ve noticed that she/he likes to be in the water the whole day. He likes to be under the basking light in the water and sometimes he goes under his tree but his body is still in the water.

not sure if it’s dehydrated or if it just wants to be there because he likes it.

I keep mine in an aquarium because i don’t have space for a wooden
Humidity on the opposite side of his pen is 74%
Temperature is 75%

anybody else going thru this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ur temps should be in the 80’s throughout the enclosure.. could be why hes hanging over there so much. Also they really dont need a basking spot.. just an ambient temp of 80-86

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I have about a year with my tortoise and recently I’ve noticed that she/he likes to be in the water the whole day. He likes to be under the basking light in the water and sometimes he goes under his tree but his body is still in the water.

not sure if it’s dehydrated or if it just wants to be there because he likes it.

I keep mine in an aquarium because i don’t have space for a wooden
Humidity on the opposite side of his pen is 74%
Temperature is 75%

anybody else going thru this?
Humidity should be 80+ percent at all times, but with dry-ish substrate. Temperature should be controlled with a thermostat and be kept at 82-86 all the time. This species doesn't need and shouldn't have a basking bulb. It will cause pyramiding.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Heres some info to read thru.. good luck and welcome!

bloodyapa

Los angeles
Humidity should be 80+ percent at all times, but with dry-ish substrate. Temperature should be controlled with a thermostat and be kept at 82-86 all the time. This species doesn't need and shouldn't have a basking bulb. It will cause pyramiding.
Ok the basking light explains the little pyramiding he has gotten. To be honest I purchased that light because it produces heat and uv. I put it on top of the water to increase humidity inside the enclosure. My substrate is coconut fiber and I have it moist on one side and dry on the other.

I have also noticed that his stool is soft and watery. He still eats plenty of food. I feed Mazuri, spring mix, green peppers, squash and Collard.

should I change the light to a heating pad outside the enclosure instead?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok the basking light explains the little pyramiding he has gotten. To be honest I purchased that light because it produces heat and uv. I put it on top of the water to increase humidity inside the enclosure. My substrate is coconut fiber and I have it moist on one side and dry on the other.

I have also noticed that his stool is soft and watery. He still eats plenty of food. I feed Mazuri, spring mix, green peppers, squash and Collard.

should I change the light to a heating pad outside the enclosure instead?
You need a large closed chamber. Can't be done with an open top.

Its difficult to keep the substrate damp, but not cause shell rot with coco coir. Better to use fine grade orchid bark. It can be kept damp on bottom but dry on top, which helps with humidity. If you can't find it at your local garden center, come up to Santa Clarita to Green Landscape nursery. You can get huge bag for $11.

MVBs are infamous for causing pyramiding.

Heat mats should never be used with tortoises. Its not safe. It goes against their instincts. Ambient temperature should be maintained with CHEs or radiant heat panels controlled by thermostats.

bloodyapa

Los angeles

Its difficult to keep the substrate damp, but not cause shell rot with coco coir. Better to use fine grade orchid bark. It can be kept damp on bottom but dry on top, which helps with humidity. If you can't find it at your local garden center, come up to Santa Clarita to Green Landscape nursery. You can get huge bag for $11.

Heat mats should never be used with tortoises. Its not safe. It goes against their instincts. Ambient temperature should be maintained with CHEs or radiant heat panels controlled by thermostats.

Wow, this is all great info. Not sure how my tortoise survived a whole year with my setup. Thanks everyone for the help!!

bloodyapa

Los angeles

I have shredded mulch. Can i use that or should i stick with fine wood bark?
i will replace my light with a ceramic heater. Is that ok?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Sheldon is very fond of his water. I love to watch him drink. That whole head dunk is just too funny !
He loves when I spray him with the water bottle also. ?❤️?

bloodyapa

Los angeles

Hello Tom, I did as you said and replaced my current substrate with fine grade orchid bark. Unfortunately, within a few days the bark started having what I believe is white hairy fungus.
I’m unsure what I did wrong or if I should use a different substrate besides this one I purchased.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tom, I did as you said and replaced my current substrate with fine grade orchid bark. Unfortunately, within a few days the bark started having what I believe is white hairy fungus.
I’m unsure what I did wrong or if I should use a different substrate besides this one I purchased.
Where did you get the bark? Orchid bark doesn't support fungal growth, so there has to be something on it for that to grow. Was it in one small area? If yes, I'd scoop that section out and replace it. I've never had that happen.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is the HOME DEPOT brand that I've used with great success.
The correct one says POTTING MEDIA.
The one that says POTTING MIX has other unneeded and potentially harmful contents.

Attachments

• 20191221_162920.jpg
    20191221_162920.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 7

bloodyapa

Los angeles
This is the HOME DEPOT brand that I've used with great success.
The correct one says POTTING MEDIA.
The one that says POTTING MIX has other unneeded and potentially harmful contents.
Thank you guys for the prompt response. Forgive me if I haven’t responded but I’ve been busy lately. I purchased my fine grade orchid bark at a nursery close to me. I’m not home at the moment or else I’d share a photo. The bark grew white spots here and there. And day by day it kept growing. Bark was not wet but lightly moist from the humidity. Not sure what is wrong.

Update on red foot;
My ambient humidity is 80+ and heat 80-85.
He still keeps eating strong. However, he seems to love the water so much that he sleeps on his water bowl. I use a ceramic heater and during the day he gets to explore and eat

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you guys for the prompt response. Forgive me if I haven’t responded but I’ve been busy lately. I purchased my fine grade orchid bark at a nursery close to me. I’m not home at the moment or else I’d share a photo. The bark grew white spots here and there. And day by day it kept growing. Bark was not wet but lightly moist from the humidity. Not sure what is wrong.

Update on red foot;
My ambient humidity is 80+ and heat 80-85.
He still keeps eating strong. However, he seems to love the water so much that he sleeps on his water bowl. I use a ceramic heater and during the day he gets to explore and eat
Redfoot can be pretty aquatic.
I have more than one that seems to take a swim every afternoon.
I'm not sure if it's to cool off, or what.
I would not allow any tortoise to sleep in a water bowl.
Their shells need to dry off in between soaks or fungal issues can happen more often.