Is there such a thing as too high humidity?

Chasen

Location (City and/or State)
Galveston
My little one doesn't appear to be having any issues with it, but I'm wondering if 98/99% is problematic for an extended period? I've read on here about a minimum of 80%, but don't recall anything in regards to an ongoing higher level of moisture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? My closed chambers routinely rise to 99% every night when the lamps kick off and the temps cool. Not a problem for any of my species.

Chasen

Galveston
What species? My closed chambers routinely rise to 99% every night when the lamps kick off and the temps cool. Not a problem for any of my species.
Leo. I'm not seeing a fluctuation in humidity level after lights go off. Just making sure that a higher than 80% level on a long term basis isn't a health risk. Thanx

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I find that the rule of thumb is not what we'd think of as 'laboratory' best practice. I was horrified when I first heard about the closed chamber SOP, but that was because I looked at it from the POV as some one who works in a professional vivarium as their day job.

The fact is it only takes a few minutes for the humidity to drop significantly, I find this with my own home set-ups of enclosed enclosures. In those few minutes of accessing the 'cage' servicing it, picking out a few poops, changing the water, and offering food, there is a huge turn over of air. This includes the ambient humidity of the room versus the cage, as well as temperature. This does provide a brief change in environment that may be somewhat beneficial.

I have worked some enclosures at work where you place your hands into gloved sleeves that are attached to the enclosure, and the interior NEVER has any fluctuation at all during the time it houses animals. This is not the leopard tortoise enclosure 'closed chambers' as described here on TFO.

If you check on your animals twice a day that air (along with temp and RH) alters twice a day. Sometimes if it all gets a little to 'soggy' I will leave the door open 1/4 to 1 inch for an all day air exchange. When I have done this that day's average RH may dip to 60-70 % with no apparent ill effects. I have done it for as long as a week and I do see a growth ring form. So it is an observable thing, the difference of RH and Temp.