Is there such a thing as too much lighting?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is such a thing as TOO MUCH lighting? I'm asking because if an enclosure is too bright maybe it could hurt the tortoise's eyes?

My current set up has.

1) 100 W MVB on left
2) 150 W CHE in middle
3) 160 W MVB on right
4) 32 W 3700 Lumens LED strip on top front (4000 K)

It's dark in the winter where we live so not much sunlight. I'm trying to keep things bright so he's more active. It's working great but not sure if it's damaging his eyes being this bright?

Thanks.

James

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpg
    IMG_7638.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7636.jpg
    IMG_7636.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7635.jpg
    IMG_7635.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like you've done a great job there! Don't think it's too bright at all. With all the plant cover you've provided, you've done an excellent job of creating a good lighting situation.

The only concerns you should watch for:

You can get too much UVB intensity, especially with 2 MVB's. That can burn the tortoise's eyes and create problems like snow blindness. Looks like the height you have them mounted, though, would be no problem with that. Normally a MVB if adjusted for correct basking temp, is also in the right range for the UVI (Index) that you want. The issue may be the opposite, depending upon how old the MVB lamps are. They tend to loose UV output around 6-9 months, and some are doing so a lot sooner. Since you are in a location that apparently gets little sunlight a good portion of the year, I would really suggest you invest in a UV meter to monitor how your setup is doing in providing the correct UVB amounts. The solarmeter 6.5 is really the only one that is actually geared towards specifically reading the UV in the range that stimulated D3 production. That way, you KNOW the height at which you mount your MVB's is correct, and you KNOW when you need to replace them. They will still be giving out the same discernable light visually, while they are not longer putting out much or any UV.

Your LED should be fine along with the MVB's. The issue with most LED's are they give out a fairly narrow range of light spectrum, unless you go to the more expensive, speciality LED's that are dreated with different diodes to balance color. At 4000, you are in a good range, but the blues AND reds are needed in the spectrum too - for both your tortoise and your plants to stay best. At 3700 lumens, and the height you have it, it is definitely not too bright. Especially with the way you have the plants. I am a firm believer in providing plant hides exactly like you have done. I feel the tortoise well being is greatly enhanced and that creates the type of places they would normally spend a lot of time in, in the wild.

Great job on that enclosure!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Your tort is definitely lucky to have such an enclosure.

A well-done job.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Looks like you've done a great job there! Don't think it's too bright at all. With all the plant cover you've provided, you've done an excellent job of creating a good lighting situation.

The only concerns you should watch for:

You can get too much UVB intensity, especially with 2 MVB's. That can burn the tortoise's eyes and create problems like snow blindness. Looks like the height you have them mounted, though, would be no problem with that. Normally a MVB if adjusted for correct basking temp, is also in the right range for the UVI (Index) that you want. The issue may be the opposite, depending upon how old the MVB lamps are. They tend to loose UV output around 6-9 months, and some are doing so a lot sooner. Since you are in a location that apparently gets little sunlight a good portion of the year, I would really suggest you invest in a UV meter to monitor how your setup is doing in providing the correct UVB amounts. The solarmeter 6.5 is really the only one that is actually geared towards specifically reading the UV in the range that stimulated D3 production. That way, you KNOW the height at which you mount your MVB's is correct, and you KNOW when you need to replace them. They will still be giving out the same discernable light visually, while they are not longer putting out much or any UV.

Your LED should be fine along with the MVB's. The issue with most LED's are they give out a fairly narrow range of light spectrum, unless you go to the more expensive, speciality LED's that are dreated with different diodes to balance color. At 4000, you are in a good range, but the blues AND reds are needed in the spectrum too - for both your tortoise and your plants to stay best. At 3700 lumens, and the height you have it, it is definitely not too bright. Especially with the way you have the plants. I am a firm believer in providing plant hides exactly like you have done. I feel the tortoise well being is greatly enhanced and that creates the type of places they would normally spend a lot of time in, in the wild.

Great job on that enclosure!

Thanks very much. That is really reassuring. My wife helped me mount the LED with some hesitation because it was really bright and she wasn't used to it. I didn't want to get blamed if it hurt our tortoise so had to post and ask. I am so appreciative with everyone on the forum who take time to answer! I am so grateful.

We don't have enough money for a house right now but hopefully soon and he can get a proper outdoor pen in the summer.

It took awhile to get all the plants in. I buy them and wait awhile for pesticides/fertilizer to clear and wash them diligently until I rid of the perlite and put them in there. So far they've been fine in the coco coir and growing well.

James

Attachments

• IMG_7588.JPG
    IMG_7588.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7590.JPG
    IMG_7590.JPG
    1,003 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7589.JPG
    IMG_7589.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks very much. That is really reassuring. My wife helped me mount the LED with some hesitation because it was really bright and she wasn't used to it. I didn't want to get blamed if it hurt our tortoise so had to post and ask. I am so appreciative with everyone on the forum who take time to answer! I am so grateful.

We don't have enough money for a house right now but hopefully soon and he can get a proper outdoor pen in the summer.

It took awhile to get all the plants in. I buy them and wait awhile for pesticides/fertilizer to clear and wash them diligently until I rid of the perlite and put them in there. So far they've been fine in the coco coir and growing well.

James
I've done this same thing with my plants! Love your enclosure! And i don't think there can be "too much light", my concern would be about too much heat generated by those strong lamp, though with open top even that is not that much of a concern. I have heard horror stories of baby torts getting literally cooked due to malfunctioning thermostat. I think that in nice size enclosure like yours, with open top and plenty of room/areas where the baby torts can get away from the heat, you should be fine. Again, LOVE YOUR WORK!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

James
James

Is that mondo grass? I love it and have it in my large pond area. Love the tufts it creates. My turtles leave it alone, and many like to bask semi hid in it. However, if that is mondo grass ( monkey grass) I do not put it in any of my tortoise enclosures. It is poisonous to cold blooded animals from what I've read, and I don't chance it. It really isn't a grass but related to the lily.

If not mondo, what type grass is it?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I've done this same thing with my plants! Love your enclosure! And i don't think there can be "too much light", my concern would be about too much heat generated by those strong lamp, though with open top even that is not that much of a concern. I have heard horror stories of baby torts getting literally cooked due to malfunctioning thermostat. I think that in nice size enclosure like yours, with open top and plenty of room/areas where the baby torts can get away from the heat, you should be fine. Again, LOVE YOUR WORK!

Thank you. Because it's open top, I try to somehow increase the humidity even if it's a little. I have a warm mist humidifier running 8 hours a day (it turns off when the water empties out so it's about 8 hours). I am careful about the heat too. I will try to get a couple more areas where he could hide. Thanks for your kind comments!

Last edited:

Souptugo

5 Year Member
James

Is that mondo grass? I love it and have it in my large pond area. Love the tufts it creates. My turtles leave it alone, and many like to bask semi hid in it. However, if that is mondo grass ( monkey grass) I do not put it in any of my tortoise enclosures. It is poisonous to cold blooded animals from what I've read, and I don't chance it. It really isn't a grass but related to the lily.

If not mondo, what type grass is it?

The grass I researched and got was called Fescue.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=694

I try to get stuff that is safe for him to eat. It grows well in the enclosure and gives good shade. I'm hoping to grow it out more so it's taller and he can hide under it.